There are four primary ways to navigate this site:
- Browse by religious tradition (and, in some cases, region) using the drop-down menus. NOTE: This is the only way to find non-English documents.
- Search for words using the text box on the right. NOTE: This full-text search excludes pdfs and other attachments.
- Filter by category using the drop-down menu on the right or the index below.
- Browse by date of original publication using the calendar on the right. (Undated publications are assigned approximate dates or, when no approximation is possible, 1/1/20.)
Index of Categories
Businesses: Guidance for business owners and consumers.
Church-State Relations: First Amendment issues and matters related to the separation of church and state.
Clergy: Guidance to help religious professionals navigate their own professional activities.
Communion: Guidance related to the Christian ritual also known as Eucharist.
Education: Guidance for schooling and adult learning, both in person and online. See also Houses of Worship and Reopening.
Electronic Communication: Guidance about the permissible use of electronic devices.
Food: Guidance related to religious food norms (e.g., kosher food), food shortages, and food vendors.
Fundraising: Raising money for the operation of religious organizations. For charity, see Support for community members.
Funerals and Mourning: Guidance regarding burial rituals and the mourning rituals that follow.
Healthcare Ethics: Guidance for the ethical provision of medical treatment and the proper balance between personal privacy and public health.
Holidays: Adaptations to customary forms of celebration. For specific holidays, use one of the following sub-categories:
- Easter season (includes Lent)
- High holidays (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur)
- Jewish minor fasts and periods of mourning
- Ramadan (includes Eid al-Fitr)
- Vaisakhi (the Sikh holiday also spelled Baisakhi)
Information: Guidance on how to evaluate coronavirus-related information
Grandparents: Guidance on relations between grandparents and grandchildren
Meditation: Guidance for coronavirus-specific meditation and mindfulness.
Mental Health: Guidance related to loneliness, depression, anxiety, and stress.
Missionary Activity: Guidance related to efforts to spread one’s faith during the pandemic.
Music: Includes guidance related to singing in community and the use of music in online settings.
Pilgrimage: Guidance related to religious travel, primarily the Islamic Hajj.
Prayer: Guidance for how to pray during the pandemic. Many entries fall into one of the following sub-categories:
- In-Person Communal Prayer
- Virtual Communal Prayer (both worship services conducted online and coordinated prayers in which members of a community worship individually at the same time)
Public Health: Guidance documents that focus heavily on reinforcing recommendations from public health authorities. Many entries fall into one or more of the following sub-categories:
- Hygiene (handwashing, etc.)
- Personal Protective Equipment (masks, gloves, etc.)
- Social Distancing (that is, maintaining physical distance between people for the purpose of mitigating the spread of the virus)
Ritual Purification: Guidance regarding the performance of rituals that establish or restore a religious state of purity.
Support for Community Members: Guidance related to charity, support groups, practical assistance, etc.
Vaccination: Guidance regarding the permissibility (or obligation) to receive a Covid-19 vaccine.