History: Augustus R. Stanton

Stanton is listed as a brewer, but it is unclear as to whether he actually ever produced “real” beer. He began “brewing” with Charles Skinner in 1890 from 6 Ash Street in Lewiston. They were known for their Standard Hop Beer, a temperance drink. However, in 1893 Stanton branched out on his own at a new location: 7 Canal Street. He is listed as a beer manufacturer in the city directory from that point on. At some point, he moved to 440 Sabattus Street (where a printer’s error lists him as a “beef manufacturer”). In 1900, at approximately 44 years old, he quit the business and moved back to Biddeford, where he was born.


Will Anderson, The Great State of Maine Beer Book (Portland: Anderson & Sons’ Publishing Co., 1996), 12.

Lewiston City Directory, 1893.

U. S. Census, 1900.