Taking up the brewing legacy of his father and brothers, Eugene L. Howe began brewing in the early 1880s with former boarding house operator John Young. The two operated out of a location just down the street from where J. E. Howe and Sons was located, at 206 Water Street, between Academy and Perley’s Lane, in Hallowell. Their operation continued until approximately 1897.
Will Anderson, The Great State of Maine Beer Book (Portland: Anderson & Sons’ Publishing Co., 1996), 30, 32.
Augusta/Gardiner/Hallowell City Directories, 1882-1897