Do you ever feel like you know everything about a topic, and then someone says something about it in a different perspective and suddenly you are now questioning whether you knew anything about it? Yea, welcome to the continuously growing world of knowledge.

Although the largest idea I captured from this week was not directly from the articles we read or the information presented to us in class, I still believe it’s something worth discussing. I joined this class thinking I knew exactly what technology was; my whole idea of it was based around electronics, devices that advanced our lives and provided us with means of transportation, communication, and entertainment. I believed my whole life depended on technology because I so often used it for communicating with my family, doing my homework at night, communicating with my professors or cooking my food. What I did not know was that the extent of technology’s effect on my life was much larger. I do depend on it for those things, but I depend on many different aspects of it. In order to cook food I need food that was enhanced by technology, cooking utensils created by technology, heat created by science, and the recipe created my society. One of the most substantial things I have learned being here at Colby so far is that when I think I know everything about something, the reality is that I only know a small aspect of it.

Before this class I did not even know the true definition of technology.¬† A word that is so often used by the speech of my mouth and the actions of my body. Yet I had always thought of it as simply being¬†electronics. However this week I learned that it’s everything. It’s creating the first man made tools, creating things that will be used for more than one action, and it’s something that has been here since perhaps before we were.

I always thought in the perspective of what Melvin Kranzberg said “the machines have become the masters of man.” Despite it’s continuous appearance in my life, I thought technology was bad for me and the world, something toxic that was going to destroy us. It creates space debris, causing objects to fall from the sky and potentially kill people, like a cow in Havana. It is the phones that we can not take our eyes off of while we should be spending time with our family. It is the obsession with having the newest, coolest gadget to prove to everyone you’re better. Except technology is more than that. Combined with science and society it is many remarkable things. It’s what created your clothing, how you can see if you’re visually impaired, how you can travel to places, and it’s the creation of vaccines that protect you from what many of your ancestors died from.

Learning about STS has not only fueled my interest in learning more about science and technology and how it impacts various societies and cultures, but also it saddens me because I’m 19 years old and I’m just now discovering the history of technology; something that may have been more useful to learn in my k-12 years as opposed to what president corrupted what society and how.

So. Think about what you think you know. Now go to a class at Colby that involves discussion about the topic, and come back to me. Do you feel inferior? Do you feel like your thoughts were manipulated into different perspectives you didn’t know existed? That’s abstract thinking. That’s knowledge, the never-ending quest to educate yourself, yet you still won’t know everything. That is the combinational power of Science, Technology, and Society.