The scientific community has been dominated largely by men. Many of the most famous scientists from history are male, however there are many female scientists who do not always get the same attention as others. These female scientists include Marie Curie, Rosalind Franklin, Dorothy Hodgkin, and many others. All of these women had a large role in contributing to our understanding of science today.

Science used to be a field participated in exclusively by men. Women were not allowed to learn science even at all female universities, as it was believed that the best scientists would end up being men anyways. During the war effort, many of the men were soldiers in the army. During times like this, women were encouraged to take on many of the roles that men had been doing to help the war effort run smoothly. These jobs were rarely scientists, however, as the smartest scientists in their fields were obviously better off conducting research rather than fighting in the army. After the war, women went back to their lower paying jobs that they had before, however now the knowledge was in the air that they could perform any job just as well as the men could.

Science has recently become a more coed field of study, with female scientists being much more common today than they were in the twentieth century. Even though this is the case, there is still not an even split between genders in the scientific world. An example that I have seen even in my own life is a lack of women in physics classes. In high school senior year I was taking AP Physics. The class had around twenty kids, however only three of them were girls. Even in college right now I am taking a course in Astrophysics, and only two out of the fifteen or so students in the class are female. This shows that even though the situation has gotten better when it comes to women in science, we still have a long way to go before there are truly equal numbers of each gender.