An area of intrigue for me is the line between life and technology. I am curious, as society advances technologically, in what ways have humans started to blur this line today. Questions that I have asked myself are what advancements made today that have life-like behaviors? What technologies are changing what we thought was natural? What foreseeable developments in the future will bridge this gap? Is this an area we need to be careful with, and what precautions do we need to take?

A developing field, gene editing, complicates the idea of the difference between technology and life. In my essay I would like to explore the following thesis.

Thesis:

While concerns regarding the dangers of pursuing gene editing are justified, scientists, should continue to develop this field as there are incredible benefits to mastering this field.

This topic is strongly connected to the content of Frankenstein, and in my essay I will compare these to enhance my writing. Gene editing is rooted in science, technology and society, and I have no trouble staying on topic. The practice of gene technology in todays world, raises important questions about all three main elements of STS.

Research Strategy

I will start with less reliable, but easy to access sources like wikipedia, to gain a broad basis of knowledge, and acquire key search terms. I then will use more reputable sources, and connect the information back to readings we have done in class.

Sources:

Fridovich-Keil, Judith L. “Gene Editing.” Encyclopædia Britannica, Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc., 27 Feb. 2017, www.britannica.com/science/gene-editing.

Frankenstein

PhD, Yella Hewings-Martin. “The Ethics of Gene Editing.” Medical News Today, MediLexicon International, 20 Oct. 2017, www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319817.php.

“What Are the Ethical Concerns about Genome Editing?” National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), www.genome.gov/27569225/what-are-the-ethical-concerns-about-genome-editing/.

Outline:

Introduction

-Anecdote about Frankenstein, talk about life vs technology

-Introduce concept of gene editing and how it fits into this debate

Thesis:

Paragraph 1

-Discuss life changing benefits of gene editing

-Talk about disease curing capabilities

-Discuss how we can treat inherited diseases with this technology

Paragraph 2

-Compare and Contrast with Frankenstein

Paragraph 3

-Acknowledge downfalls and introduce counterarguments

-further support claim by addressing counterarguments

Conclusion

-Recap and explain why the pros of gene editing outweigh the cons

-Connect this concept to STS as a whole