For my research project, I would like to investigate virtual assistance as an interdisciplinary field of study . More specifically, I would like to examine how such technologies in every day gadgets affect society today, and what course they will lead in the future. I would like to answer the questions, “how did virtual assistance technologies emerge?” and “how do they affect our lives today?” and “how will the presence of virtual assistance technologies shape the future for society?”

Virtual assistance as a software agent can perform tasks or certain services for an individual. Within the past few years, we have seen a prolific increase in devices that use VA, whether it is Amazon’s Alexa, Google Assistance, or Microsoft’s Cortana. These services make the little details in life more convenient, for example turning off the lights, ordering products online, looking up things on google, or setting reminders.

As time moves forward, these VA technologies become more sophisticated and responsive to every day’s life demands. This raises the question, “Will we grow to become dependent on such technologies?” I would like to explore what the future could look like for society, and how this technology could develop further.

Naturally, such technology raises security concerns. It is fact that your technology is “listening.” Those who choose to use devices with this technology cannot and should not expect 100% privacy. As we move forward in a more technology-driven life, there are more security concerns posed, along with more susceptibility to hacking.

In my project, I would like to address all of the questions above, and discuss both the benefits and detriments of virtual assistance technology. To conclude the project, I would most likely talk about what these developments could potentially look like in the future.