Being Russian-Jewish and Costa Rican puts me in quite a few cultural circles. It means I normally have kasha (oatmeal) for breakfast, gefilte fish with lunch, and arroz con pollo for dinner.

The implications of the intersection of so many cultures within my family is unique and creates many so-called “bridges” relating to our family dynamics. For example, I meet with different sides of my family for different holidays. My dad’s side celebrates Hanukkah, but my Mom’s side only celebrates Christmas.

Scientific knowledge and the humanities are two distinct and unique cultures that society holds to be separate in many ways. Scientists tend to work collaboratively to pursue goals, while scholars tend to remain isolated in their studies. Scientists are far more likely to receive grants and recognition for their work. However different the sciences and humanities may seem, the “bridge” between these cultures is most likely the study of philosophy, which seeks to answer the toughest of life’s many questions, often from a scientific standpoint. Questions posed by philosophers range from defining the nature of our reality to studying the human experience from an analytical standpoint.

High literacy culture used to manifest its self as a social class during the early 19th century. As the industrial revolution ran its course and public education became a priority at least in the United States, the gaps of knowledge between social classes began to close. Presently, high literacy is no longer a part of a singular social class. In present day, rich and poor alike participate in the culture of high literacy. This is the case thanks to high level publicly funded education and the rise of intellectualism in society.

In general, Humans are the key tools of science practice. Human characteristics therefore influence science practice and science outcomes, thus science and humanities will always fully be integrated in each step of the science process. This is the bridge between humanities and sciences.