C.P. Snow’s The Two Cultures, highlights the gap between two intellectual communities, science and humanities. His work sparked debate about whether these two disciplines have become so distant that this gap needs to be bridged. Another way of putting this is that scientists should learn the fundamentals of humanities, while those studying humanities should learn important concepts in science. Personally, I believe there is benefit to amassing a strong basis of knowledge for individual growth, but otherwise I do not see value in bridging the gap between these disciplines.

As a student at a liberal arts college, I have received an education in many different subjects. I believe having this wide variety of knowledge helps me understand more perspective, and positively broadens my horizon. While having this information adds layers to my character, I do not see a need to study both at the same time. I view pursuing humanity and science as important endeavors, but they should be taught separately. To me, to believe that having a knowledge of Shakespeare would help further develop scientific concept is inaccurate. Scientific advancement can be achieved through observation, experiment, precise measurement, and other scientific processes all of which are separate from humanities.

I disagree that with the idea that the gap between these two fields needs to be bridged. In order to pursue excellence in humanities, there is no need to have a scientific background. While having knowledge in many subjects makes us more interesting people, combining these two disciplines would only hold us back from achievements in science and humanities.