In his article “Two Cultures” CP Snow highlights the importance of bridging the gap between science and the humanities.

He believes “the intellectual life of the whole of western society is increasingly being split into two polar groups”. He identifies these two groups as literary intellectuals and scientists. I completely agree with his argument to bridge the two cultures. I find the culture of having to choose between the humanities and the sciences to hinder growth, the two should go hand in hand rather than be so polarized. I feel especially strong about this because my entire life I felt confused because I have always enjoyed both the humanities and the sciences but I did not feel like the culture in the educational world allowed me to say that I liked the two – I always had to pick one or the other. I chose a liberal arts college because I liked the idea of a well-rounded education where all subjects, from science to the humanities, are a requirement. Being able to bridge the two is a strength because the two almost always interact in the real world. For example, advances in science allow us to understand the effects of humans on the natural world and protect the natural world through the law. Understanding the humanities allows us to understand cultures and how scientific advances will be accepted in various places based on the culture in these various places. Another example of the intersection of the humanities and science is how often scientific developments are linked to major social and political movements. Wars pushed for advances in the science behind weapons – the world wars were catalysts for toxic warfare such as nuclear bombs. The Cold War and the struggle between the United States and the Soviet Union is the reason the race to the moon was a “race”.  Science and the humanities are constantly intersecting and interacting and bridging the two is key to understanding the past, the present and the future.