The two cultures of sciences and humanities, in my eyes, are indeed separate. It is hard to compare the processes of sciences with those of the humanities since the two share not a lot in common. For example, ask a historian if he knows what the acceleration due to gravity on any object is and he may stare back at you with a befuddled glare. When in reality, this question to nearly any scientist is one of the most elementary level – equivalent to asking a historian, perhaps, what two sides fought in the Civil War. To the knowing mind, these questions seem so basic that it is a waste of time to even ask them. However, to a scholar in a field contrary to that in which the question is derived, such a simple question might cause some trouble in a response.

In today’s society, it is my belief that the sciences take precedence over the humanities. The advancement of technology, the complex process of digital transformation, and the continuing progress of scientific breakthroughs are at the forefront of our countries growth. On the other hand, the humanities, while of course not entirely irrelevant, do not maintain as significant of status in the world as we know it today. However, this is not to say that they do not serve a purpose in the world today, because they do. In my opinion, it is important to be able to reflect upon the past and study the humanities as a means of learning from past mistakes and modeling future behavior over previous societal accomplishments, but not as important as continuing our scientific curiosity.

The twenty-first century is the fastest moving, most highly developed, and technology-dependent time period in America’s history thus far. Everything we do, see, think, etc. revolves around some form of technology or scientific knowledge. Therefore, I believe that the pursuit of scientific knowledge as a status unique to that of general human culture is what has and will continue to push society in the right direction.