Being a part of a group or clique is something most people experience throughout their lives. These groups can be determined by many things, such as sports team, academic interests, social interests, and mutual hobbies. But to what extent do these groups become exclusive and look intimidating from the outside? 

For example at Colby college there are many different departments for different majors and courses. If you took a group of students majoring in the arts and a group of students majoring in natural sciences, you would find the two to be very different. But do members of each group feel intimidated by the other group. I would say yes. Personally, I am a social science major and am definitively intimidated by certain natural sciences, art and english courses. It doesn’t mean I am intimidated by the students who are majoring in these subjects, but the subjects as a whole. It stems from the fear of failure. If a person feels incompetent in a certain discipline they will naturally shy away from it, which is the same reason I try to stay away from as many writing classes as possible.

Every person has their own skillset, which is what make them unique to everyone else. Meaning, student A might be great at math and awful at writing, but student B might be the exact opposite. Having knowledge in a certain discipline doesn’t necessarily give one a special status over other disciplines. A scientist and a writer both have their talents and they most likely would not be as successful if they swapped places. Because of this, I would argue that no subject or course actually brings an elevated social status to a person, but the pursuit of knowledge in whatever field it may be is what differentiates a scholar from an ordinary person.