Frankenstein brings to light many penetrating questions regarding the difference between technology and life. The monster created by Dr. Victor Frankenstein, did not have undergo the biological process that, you, me, or any other animal has gone through. Instead, the creature was artificially created. To myself and many other readers, this raised many questions regarding on how Frankenstein’s creation should be treated. Do humans have the same moral responsibility with artificial beings as with themselves? Would it be considered murder to destroy such a form of intelligence? These are potentially controversial questions, but fortunately, in this day in age, do not have real world repercussions. Although, we are not currently dealing with these problems, these inquiries facilitate interesting philosophical discussion.

Although in modern society, technologies such as Siri and Alexa¬† can seem extremely life-like, they do not compare to the realism of Frankenstein’s monster. The ability to experience a wide variety of feelings such sadness and anger are unique to the creature. No, technology in todays world has come close to replicating human emotion. In the story, Dr. Frankenstein vows, to manufacture another member of the monster’s “species”. Victor nearly completed this project, but when considering the potential repercussions he destroyed his second creation. As a result, the original monster lashed out in animosity and terror, two emotions that commonly drive humans.

The monster had the ability to feel emotion and to command a language,¬† two characteristics that in todays world, we only associate with humans. Should this piece of technology that acts almost identically to a human, be treated like one? In Mary Shelly’s world Victor is faced with this decision, and he does not feel a moral obligation to care for it. I however, believe that if something feels in a way that is comparable to how humans, it is cruel to treat them any other way. However, I have trouble fully understanding this concept, and I am open to having my mind changed. Fortunately, Siri and Alexa are not nearly as complex as the monster in Shelly’s novel. It will be many years, if at all, that humanity is faced with the challenges of dealing with artificial intelligence resembling people. Although it would certainly spark a plethora of intellectual debate.