Paula Harrington, Director of Farnham Writers’ Center

In addition to directing the Farnham Writers’ Center, Paula Harrington teaches writing, tutoring writing, and American literature. Before coming to Colby in 2008, she taught writing, literature, and American Studies at Marymount College of Fordham University, the University of New England, and the University of California, Davis. In 2013, she was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Paris for a research project that examined French cultural stereotypes in the writings of Mark Twain. At Marymount/Fordham, she also served as director of composition and director of the writing center. She holds a PhD in English from UC Davis, an MA in English from San Francisco State University, and a BA, magna cum laude, in English and Writing from Columbia University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. With Stacey Sheriff, director of the Colby Writing Program, she has contributed chapters to The Internationalization of U.S. Writing Programs (eds. Shirley Rose and Irwin Weiser, Utah State UP) and Writing Program Architecture (eds. Bryna Siegel Finer and Jamie White-Farnham, Utah State UP). With Ronald Jenn, professor of Translation Studies at the University of Lille, she is the author of Mark Twain & France: The Making of a New American Identity (UMissouri Press, 2017), and her articles have appeared in the minnesota review and the Mark Twain Annual. She is also a former journalist, who worked as a reporter and columnist for daily papers including the San Francisco Examiner, San Mateo Times Group, and Contra Costa Times Group. Her research interests include tutoring across identities, cultural and national stereotypes in writing, and Mark Twain studies.

Aaron Thibodeau ’21 (Available for Tutoring in Creative Writing)

Aaron Thibodeau is a Junior from West Enfield, Maine and is majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing. Writing, drawing, fishing, and just exploring the outdoors are all things that he enjoys during his free time. He especially enjoys seeing other people’s works of fiction in the Center and loves a good brainstorming session.

Adrián Pachuca ’21

Hey Y’all! I am Adrián Pachuca and I like tall people named Richard, fried chicken, and the Oxford comma. My favorite book is the lightning thief, but if you ask me I will say In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. My favorite sociologist is WEB DuBois and my favorite Febreeze scent in fresh linens. I’m friendly, “quirky”, and like the good T so please feel free to sign up for an appointment!

Alex Glowacky ’21

Alex is a junior from the Boston area. She is majoring in Sociology with a minor in Educational Studies. When she isn’t tutoring in FWC, Alex is a CCAK mentor and Student Advisory Board member and is also part of the Colby Dems. In her free time, she can be found hiking, listening to podcasts, taking a quick walk around in the art museum, volunteering at the Waterville Public Library, or snacking on granola. She has always loved reading as well as meeting new people, so she is looking forward to working with everyone who comes into the FWC!

Angie Liu ’22

Hi, I’m Angie Liu, and I’m a Chemistry-biochemistry major. I love movies, mystery novels, and hiking (mostly the first fifteen minutes of it). I’m really excited to work in the writing center and help students navigate through writing.

Avery Munns ’21

Greetings! I am a junior from Topeka, Kansas, and I am double majoring in sociology and educational studies. This is my second year in the FWC, and I especially love working with first-years and turning arguments into art because crafting a well-written paper is truly a creative enterprise! Outside of the FWC, I am a CA in Averill, co-president of the Ballroom Dance Club and a CCAK mentor. I can’t wait to learn alongside writers this semester!

Brendan Murphy ’21

Brendan is a junior from Fair Haven, New Jersey. He studies Government and English at Colby, and he is also a member of the Men’s Ice Hockey team. In the summertime, Brendan works as a real estate agent, but also spends plenty of time at the beach. He can be found in Dana most hours of the day. Brendan loves reading and writing, and he strives to be a great resource for all of his peers!

Chioma Ezuma-Ngwu ’22

Chioma is a sophomore from Massachusetts whose major is Computational Psychology with a minor in Creative Writing. In addition to being a writing center tutor, she is a CCAK mentor, a board member of the Colby African Society and the co-president of Vuvuzela. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening to music, dancing, and writing. Chioma is passionate about being a writing center tutor and is excited to help students feel more comfortable with their writing skills.

Chris Beeler ’22

Chris is a sophomore from Sudbury, Massachusetts. He is currently double majoring in English and Computer Science. When he manages to escape the classroom he enjoys arguing about how terrible Game of Thrones season 8 was, beekeeping, and singing along (poorly) to broadway musicals.

Cooper Bussberg ’21 (Available for Tutoring for Assignments Written in Spanish) (Abroad)

My name is Cooper Bussberg and I’m from Medway, Massachusetts (55 minutes outside of Boston). I’m a junior and a Spanish and Economics with Financial Markets Concentration double major. I love gardening, cooking, country music and being incredibly sarcastic. I am looking forward to my first year as a tutor in the Farnham Writer’s Center!

Dean Strup ’21

Hello! I am a junior double majoring in Chemistry-Biochemistry and History. I’m from Ohio, which I find sort of boring when at home but will strongly defend when anyone challenges me on it. When not in class or working I enjoy going on trips with the Outing Club, distracting my friends from studying, or hunting for Campfire S’more ice cream in the dining halls. Since I’m a science and a humanities major, I am comfortable discussing papers from either discipline and can’t wait to help make writing your paper less aggravating!

Eana Bacchiocchi ’21

Eana Bacchiocchi is from New York City, not to be confused with New York suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey). She is an Environmental Policy and English double major here at Colby. Eana loves to watch The Office, eat chocolate and drink coffee, and curl up with a good book. Eana is very excited to work with students, especially on the “dreaded” English literature papers.

Emily Cunningham ‘21

Emily grew up in Avon, Connecticut and is a junior majoring in Environmental Science Major with a Managerial Economics minor. On campus she sings with the Megalomaniacs acapella group, is a COOT leader, and is a member of Colby Dancers and Best Buddies! She loves Pad Thai Too, scuba diving, and enjoys exploring the Maine outdoors through activities such as hiking, skiing, and camping. Emily is so excited to be working at the Farnham Writer’s Center this year and encourages you to come work with her on anything from English papers to lab reports.

Grace Andrews ’21

Hi, I’m Grace and I’m a junior this year. I’m an Environmental Science major and an English minor. I’m excited to help with all kinds of writing this semester, from literary analysis to formal scientific writing and everything in between! In my free time, I can be found hiking the mountains of Maine or reading a good book.

Hannah Southwick ’21 (Available for Tutoring in Creative Writing)

Hannah is a junior from South Kingstown, Rhode Island studying English with a concentration in creative writing.  When she’s not running on the cross-country and track teams, she can be found drinking mint tea, exploring the art museum, or browsing the Miller stacks in search of a good book.  From developing a newspaper for her dog at age 8 to interning at a NY publishing company at age 18, Hannah has always been an avid reader and writer. She is looking forward to meeting new people and is excited to be a part of the FWC this year.

Ketty Stinson ’21

Hi everyone! My name is Ketty and I am a junior from Brunswick, Maine. At Colby, I am an environmental science major with a concentration in public health. Some of my favorite things are leisurely lunches, a sunny beach day, and the Red Sox. I love working at the Farnham Writers’ Center because I get to spend time with peers from different disciplines and classes that I wouldn’t normally meet. I am excited for another great year at the center, and I can’t wait to work with you all! 

Kristen Mahoney ’21

Kristen is a junior from Ashland, Massachusetts, which is a small town about 30 minutes outside of Boston–shocking, I know. She is currently planning on majoring in psychology and minoring in English. Kristen runs for the track team at Colby. When not slowly dying as she sprints repeat 200s in the AC, you can usually find her drinking excessive amounts of tea in the dining halls, having dance parties with her roommate in their dorm room, or taking countless Buzzfeed quizzes while she should probably be studying. She can’t wait to help people out in the Writers’ Center this year!

Macey Broadwater ’21 (Available for Tutoring in Creative Writing)

Macey grew up in Florida, Colorado, North Carolina, and Texas and can be found gardening, dancing, and adventuring outdoors. She is majoring in computer science and minoring in environmental studies. She loves coffee and sweets, so she plans to make plenty of pastries in her apartment this year. Macey has loved writing since she was a little kid, so she is super excited to work in the Farnham Writers’ Center!

Nick Ho ’21 (Head Tutor of General Operations)

‘Cholas is a junior from Hong Kong, and is the Head Tutor of General Operations this year. At Colby, ‘Cholas is a Psychology major, a Film Studies minor, and Chinese minor. When he’s not tossing frisbees with the Center for Disc Control, roaming the campus on Hall Staff duty, or singing with Mayflower Chill, he can be found at the Foss salad bar. ‘Cholas can’t wait to spend the year helping writers in the FWC and stealing tea bags from dining halls.

Nicki Chaput ’22 (Available to Tutor Creative writing)

Nicki is an English major with a concentration in Creative Writing and a Cinema Studies minor. She’s from Huntington Beach, CA and Des Moines, IA (it’s complicated). She’s a huge cinema and animation nerd and loves anything sci-fi or fantasy. When she’s not writing stories or watching Star Trek, she’s usually drawing, taking photos, or dancing. She enjoys all types of writing, but she especially loves creative writing pieces and research papers

Riley Kelfer ’22 (Available to Tutor Creative Writing)

Major: English
Minor: Cinema Studies
Riley is an aspiring fiction writer who hopes to share a complete short story collection with friends and family (and anyone who will read it) within the next year. He loves all kinds of writing, music, movies and art, and may quietly but insistently pursue recommendations in those areas. His copy of the Odyssey is largely unreadable on account of the profusion of Post-it brand Sticky-flags.

Sam Fisher ’22

Sam is a Sophomore from San Francisco, CA. He is an economics major and (maybe) a chemistry minor on the premed track. On-campus, he is a COOT leader, co-chair of Concerts and Live Music on the Student Programming Board, and is involved in Hillel. He’s super psyched to begin work in the FWC this year!

Sarah Warner ’21

Sarah is a sophomore from Glenview, Illinois (20 minutes outside Chicago, not Boston). She’s a double major in English and Studio Art, so you can usually find her anytime of the day at either Miller or Bixler. She’s a big fan of TV shows– Game of Thrones and Westworld in particular– and spends way too much time on Netflix. She’s interested in all kinds of writing and is looking forward to working with you in the FWC!

Savannah Shaw ’21

My name is Savannah and I’m a junior from Auburn, ME majoring in Government with a minor in Science, Technology, and Society. You can usually find me on the ice playing for the Colby Women’s Hockey team, dancing with the Contra Dance Club, roaming the halls as part of Hall Staff, or singing and playing my guitar. A fun fact about me; I used to hate writing so much that when I was in fourth grade I wrote a poem titled “I Hate Writing”. Thankfully, my attitude has done a 180 since I was 10, and I’m excited to meet new people and help you improve your writing (even if you hate it)!

Sofia Oliveira ’21

Sofia is a junior Economics major from Northern Virginia and is a member of the Women’s Soccer Team. She loves Seinfeld, Domino’s Pizza, and The California Honeydrops. She also loves reading and writing, and is looking forward to working as a Writing Fellow this semester!

Sravya Bahudodda ’21

Sravya is a junior from Farmington, CT, double majoring in Biology (with a Neuroscience concentration) and STS. On campus, she is the Treasurer of SPB and a member of SHOC. In her free time, she likes to dance, try new coffee shops and binge watch shows on HGTV. She is looking forward to helping her peers become more confident writers this year!