Paula Harrington, Director of Farnham Writers’ Center

In addition to directing the Farnham Writers’ Center, Paula Harrington teaches writing, tutoring writing, and American literature. Before coming to Colby in 2008, she taught writing, literature, and American Studies at Marymount College of Fordham University, the University of New England, and the University of California, Davis. In 2013, she was a Fulbright Scholar at the University of Paris for a research project that examined French cultural stereotypes in the writings of Mark Twain. At Marymount/Fordham, she also served as director of composition and director of the writing center. She holds a PhD in English from UC Davis, an MA in English from San Francisco State University, and a BA, magna cum laude, in English and Writing from Columbia University, where she was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. With Stacey Sheriff, director of the Colby Writing Program, she has contributed chapters to The Internationalization of U.S. Writing Programs (eds. Shirley Rose and Irwin Weiser, Utah State UP) and Writing Program Architecture (eds. Bryna Siegel Finer and Jamie White-Farnham, Utah State UP). With Ronald Jenn, professor of Translation Studies at the University of Lille, she is the author of Mark Twain & France: The Making of a New American Identity (UMissouri Press, 2017), and her articles have appeared in the minnesota review and the Mark Twain Annual. She is also a former journalist, who worked as a reporter and columnist for daily papers including the San Francisco Examiner, San Mateo Times Group, and Contra Costa Times Group. Her research interests include tutoring across identities, cultural and national stereotypes in writing, and Mark Twain studies.

Aaron Thibodeau ’21 (Head Tutor, Staffing & Scheduling; Available to Tutor Creative Writing)

Aaron Thibodeau is a senior from West Enfield, Maine and is one of the head tutors for the FWC. Aaron is majoring in English with a concentration in Creative Writing and loves tutoring creative pieces. Outside of school he enjoys fishing, drawing, and just unwinding to some classic rock in the dorm. Has a minor tea addiction.

He/him/his pronouns.

Adrián Pachuca ’21

Hey, Y’all! 
I am Adrián Pachuca and I am a current senior English (Creative Writing) major. Quick facts about me: I’m a big advocate for the oxford comma, a Gemini, and enjoy running through the Arbs on campus. I also, being born and raised Houstonian, love barbeque, and the occasional Dr. Pepper. I am able to tutor any paper and can help with creative writing pieces. Look forward to seeing you all and hope I can be of some help. Toodles! 

Alex Martel ’22

My name is Alex Martel and I’m from North Andover, Massachusetts.  I’m currently a sophomore majoring in Environmental Policy and Economics with a Financial Markets concentration.   Some of my favorite things to do at Colby are make big wood small wood with the Woodsmen, ski with friends, and hike around Maine.

He/him/his pronouns.

Alex Glowacky ’21 (Head Tutor, Community Outreach )

Alex is a junior from the Boston area and a head tutor at the FWC. She is majoring in Sociology with a minor in Educational Studies. When she isn’t tutoring in FWC, Alex is a CCAK mentor and Student Advisory Board member and is also part of the Colby Dems. In her free time, she can be found hiking, listening to podcasts, taking a quick walk around in the art museum, or snacking on granola. She has always loved reading and learning new subjects as well as meeting new people, so she is looking forward to working with everyone who comes into the FWC!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Alice O’Neill ’23

Hi everyone! My name is Alice and I am from Medford, Massachusetts. I haven’t decided on a major, but I’m leaning towards a Spanish-Government double major. When I’m not in class I spend my time singing in the Colbyettes (you should check us out!), watching true crime documentaries on Netflix, and hanging out with my dog. I’m really excited to be a part of the FWC this year and I can’t wait to help people improve their writing!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Angie Liu ’22

Angie is a junior from China. She’s a chemistry-biochemistry major and environmental studies minor. Besides being a FWC tutor, she’s also a CA, a CCAK mentor, and a proud member of Colby Mock Trial. When she’s free,  she enjoys reading a good mystery novel, going on a short hike, cross-stitching, and watching a random movie. She’s excited to return to the FWC and work with her peers!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Avery Munns ’21

Greetings! I am a senior from Topeka, Kansas, and I am double-majoring in sociology and educational studies. This is my third year in the FWC, and I especially love working with first-years and turning arguments into art because crafting a well-written paper is truly a creative enterprise! Outside of the FWC, I am an ARD in Foss, co-president of the Ballroom Dance Club and a CCAK mentor. I can’t wait to learn alongside writers this semester!

Brendan Murphy ’21

Brendan is a senior from Fair Haven, New Jersey. He studies Government and English at Colby, and he is also a member of the Men’s Ice Hockey team. In the summertime, Brendan works as a real estate agent, but also spends plenty of time at the beach. He can be found in Dana most hours of the day. Brendan loves reading and writing, and he strives to be a great resource for all of his peers!

Bret Miller ’23

Bret is a Junior from Andover, MA (Yes, 30 minutes outside Boston) . He is a Computer Science and Mathematics major, and is also a member of the Men’s Lacrosse Team. He can be found in the Athletic Center or in the Davis Computer Lab, quite often late at night. He loves helping students find their storytelling voice in their writing. If you like numbers, computers, writing or anything in between, Bret is your guy! 

He/him/his pronouns.

Chioma Ezuma-Ngwu ’22 (Available to Tutor Creative Writing)

Chioma is a junior from Massachusetts whose major is Computational Psychology with a minor in Creative Writing. In addition to being a writing center tutor, she is a CCAK mentor, a board member of the Colby African Society and the co-president of Vuvuzela. In her free time, she enjoys reading, listening to music, dancing, and writing. Chioma is passionate about being a writing center tutor and is excited to help students feel more comfortable with their writing skills. 

She/her/hers pronouns.

Chloe Simms ’22

Hello, my name is Chloe Simms, and I would love to help you improve your writing. As a tutor, I would describe myself as unintimidating, honest, and friendly. I enjoy tutoring because I am genuinely fascinated to read other people’s work– it’s a great way to learn more about subjects I would not normally encounter, and a great way to learn more about others’ viewpoints. So, please, come to the Writing Center! You won’t regret it.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Cooper Bussberg ’21 (Available for Tutoring for Writing Assignments in Spanish)

My name is Cooper Bussberg and I’m from Medway, Massachusetts (55 minutes outside of Boston). I’m a senior, and a double major in Spanish and Economics with a Financial Markets concentration. I love gardening, cooking, country music, and being incredibly sarcastic. I am looking forward to tutoring this year in the Farnham Writer’s Center!

Dean Strup ’21

Hello! I am a senior double majoring in Biology (with a concentration in Cell and Molecular Biology and Biochemistry) and History. I’m from Ohio, which I find sort of boring when at home but will strongly defend when anyone challenges me on it. When not in class or working I enjoy exploring Maine, distracting my friends from studying, or trying (and failing) to do the New York Times crossword. Since I’m a science and a humanities major, I am comfortable discussing papers from either discipline and can’t wait to help make writing your paper less aggravating!

He/him/his pronouns.

Eana Bacchiocchi ’21

Eana Bacchiocchi is from New York City, not to be confused with New York suburbs (Long Island, Westchester, New Jersey). She is an Environmental Policy and English double major here at Colby. Eana loves to watch The Office, eat chocolate and drink coffee, and curl up with a good book. Eana is very excited to work with students, especially on the “dreaded” English literature papers.

Emma West ’23

Emma is a sophomore from Westborough, Massachusetts. She is a Government major with minors in English and Managerial Economics. During her writing career, she’s been a tutor, co-editor in chief, copy editor, writing fellow, and AP Lit nerd. When she’s not mourning the absolute train-wreck of a Red Sox season, she enjoys watching the other Boston sports teams, as well as being active on campus as an Intramural Sports Commissioner, member of the Mock Trial team, and member of Colby Votes.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Emily Cunningham ‘21

Emily grew up in Avon, Connecticut and is a senior majoring in Environmental Science Major with a Managerial Economics minor. On campus she sings with the Megalomaniacs acapella group, is a COOT leader, and is a member of Colby Dancers and Best Buddies! She loves Pad Thai Too, scuba diving, and enjoys exploring the Maine outdoors through activities such as hiking, skiing, and camping. Emily is so excited to be working at the Farnham Writer’s Center this year and encourages you to come work with her on anything from English papers to lab reports.

Elle Hankin ’23

Hi! My name is Elle and I am a sophomore from Atlanta, Georgia. I’m a double major in Biology and Environmental Science. I am also a member of the Women’s Soccer team. In my free time I enjoy hiking, wildlife photography, and reading. I am very excited to be a part of the Farnham Writer’s Center staff this year!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Georgia Dettmann ’23

Hi everyone! My name is Georgia and I am a junior from Baltimore, MD, majoring in environmental policy and minoring in economics!  When I’m not working for the admissions office or playing club volleyball, I’m usually scooping ice cream at Bobs or “studying” in DavisConnects. I’m really excited to help with all different kinds of writing, and I can’t wait to be a part of the FWC this year!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Gina Park ’22

Gina is a sophomore from Wayne, New Jersey. She is a double major in Economics and Statistics. Aside from being a writing tutor, she is a TA for Intro to Stats and a CCAK mentor. In her free time, you can usually find her talking with her friends, hanging out with dogs, drinking Dunkin iced coffee, or making TikToks. She loves helping people with their writing and is looking forward to working at the FWC!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Grace Andrews ’21 (Available to tutor Creative Writing)

Hi, I’m Grace and I’m a senior this year. I’m an Environmental Science major and an English minor. I’m excited to help with all kinds of writing this semester, from literary analysis to formal scientific writing and everything in between! In my free time, I can be found hiking the mountains of Maine or reading a good book.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Halle Carroll ’23

My name is Halle Carroll and I am a sophomore from Glastonbury, Connecticut. I am an Anthropology major and an English minor. I am really excited to be working at the FWC both to help others become better writers and also learn to be a better writer myself! I have always loved writing and am considering a career as a journalist someday. Some of my other interests are badminton, dogs, music, and hanging with friends!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Hannah Southwick ’21 (Available for Tutoring in Creative Writing)

I’m a senior from South Kingstown, Rhode Island majoring in English and Studio Art.  I love being creative and telling multimedia stories – whether through podcasting, printmaking, or photography. In my free time, you can find me thrift shopping, exploring Maine on the run, and drinking copious amounts of tea. I’m excited to work with you in the writing center this year! 

She/her/hers pronouns.

Julie You ’23

Hi there! This is Julie (Yue You) 23′, an Econ major student who maintains a true passion for creative writing, music, art, and theatre (isn’t it weird that no one in Colby has done a quintuple major before?). To me, writing is like any other forms of art in which we can choose to express or to hide, to argue or to support, to vent or to have fun with. As the saying goes, if you can write it freely, you can write it seriously. (Interesting!)

She/her/hers pronouns.

Ketty Stinson ’21

Hi everyone! My name is Ketty and I am a senior from Brunswick, Maine. At Colby, I am an environmental science major with a concentration in public health. Some of my favorite things are leisurely lunches, a sunny beach day, and the Red Sox. I love working at the Farnham Writers’ Center because I get to spend time with peers from different disciplines and classes that I wouldn’t normally meet. I am excited for another great year at the center, and I can’t wait to work with you all! 

She/her/hers pronouns.

Kristen Mahoney ’21

Kristen is a senior from Ashland, Massachusetts, and is majoring and psychology and minoring in English. In her free time she enjoys running, reading, and spending as much time outdoors as possible. She is looking forward to working at the Farnham Writer’s Center again and meeting new people this year! 

She/her/hers pronouns.

Lindsey Merolla ’22

Lindsey is a junior from New Bedford, Massachusetts studying economics and English. Aside from tutoring, Lindsey is a member of CCAK, Colby Dancers, Colby Economics Club, and Artists Society. In her free time, she likes to design t-shirts for various Colby programs, write poetry, and play piano, along with following YouTube workouts.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Macey Broadwater ’21 (Available for Tutoring in Creative Writing)

Macey grew up in Florida, Colorado, North Carolina, and Texas and can be found gardening, dancing, and adventuring outdoors. She is majoring in computer science and minoring in environmental studies. She loves coffee and sweets, so she plans to make plenty of pastries in her apartment this year. Macey has loved writing since she was a little kid, so she is super excited to work in the Farnham Writers’ Center!

Michelle Kennedy ’23

Michelle is a sophomore from Westport, Connecticut. She is majoring in Biology with a concentration in Ecology and Evolution. Additionally, she is an English and Mandrin double minor. When she is not swimming with the AquaMules, you can find her in the spa or in Miller drinking a cup of coffee. She is so excited to be working in the FWC and meet new people.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Nick Ho ’21 (Head Tutor, General Operations)

Nicholas is a senior from Hong Kong and one of the head tutors at the FWC. At Colby, Nicholas is majoring in Psychology and minoring in Film Studies. When he’s not tossing frisbees with the Center for Disc Control, roaming the campus on Hall Staff duty, or singing with Mayflower Chill, he can be found at the Foss salad bar. Nicholas can’t wait to spend the year helping writers in the FWC and stealing tea bags from dining halls.

He/him/his pronouns.

Nicki Chaput ’22 (Available to Tutor Creative writing)

Nicki is an English major with a concentration in Creative Writing and is minoring in both Cinema Studies and East Asian Studies. She’s from Huntington Beach, CA and Des Moines, IA (it’s complicated). She’s a huge cinema and animation nerd and loves anything sci-fi or fantasy. When she’s not writing stories or watching Star Trek, she’s usually drawing, taking photos, or dancing. She enjoys all types of writing, but she especially loves creative writing pieces and research papers.

She/her/hers pronouns.

Rowan Karpa-Wilson ’23

I’m Rowan Karpa-Wilson, I’m a sophomore, and a creative writing/music double major. I’ve made many choices in my life and becoming a writing tutor was certainly one of them. I love to write poetry, listen to music, hang out with my friends, and participate in elaborate jewel heists. I’m extremely excited to work in the writer’s center this semester! 

He/him/his pronouns.

Riley Kelfer ’22 (Available to Tutor Creative Writing)

Major: English

Minor: Cinema Studies

Riley is an aspiring fiction writer and educator. He loves all kinds of writing, music, movies, and art, and may quietly but insistently pursue recommendations in those areas. His copy of Odyssey is largely unreadable on account of the profusion of Post-it brand Sticky-flags.
He/him/his pronouns.

Samantha Miller ’23

Sam is a sophomore double majoring in environmental policy and psychology, and she is from Sharon, Massachusetts. Outside of the writing center, she is on the frisbee team and is a CCAK mentor. She is a big fan of any outdoor activity—especially hiking, biking, and paddleboarding. As an avid reader, Sam has always loved writing and is excited to work with you!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Sam Fisher ’22

Sam is a Junior from San Francisco, CA. He’s majoring in Economics with minors in Chemistry and Religious Studies. On-campus, he is a member of Coot Committee, Fall Chair on the Student Programming Board, and is the treasurer of Colby Hillel. Super psyched to get back to tutoring this semester! 

He/him/his pronouns.

Sarah Warner ’21

Sarah is a senior from Glenview, Illinois (20 minutes outside Chicago, not Boston). She’s a double major in English and Studio Art, so you can usually find her anytime of the day at either Miller or Bixler. She’s a big fan of TV shows– Game of Thrones and Westworld in particular– and spends way too much time on Netflix. She’s interested in all kinds of writing and is looking forward to working with you in the FWC!

Savannah Shaw ’21

My name is Savannah and I’m a senior from Auburn, ME, majoring in Government with a minor in Science, Technology, and Society. You can usually find me on the ice or field playing for the Colby Women’s Hockey teams, dancing with the Contra Dance Club, roaming the halls as part of Hall Staff, or singing and playing my guitar. A fun fact about me; I used to hate writing so much that when I was in fourth grade I wrote a poem titled “I Hate Writing”. Thankfully, my attitude has done a 180 since I was 10, and I’m excited to meet new people and help you improve your writing (even if you hate it)!

She/her/hers pronouns.

Sofia Oliveira ’21

Sofia is a senior from Northern Virginia, and is majoring in Economics. She is a member of Colby Women’s Soccer Team, and also enjoys watching Seinfeld, surfing Spotify, and editing for Outside Colby, Colby’s student-led political magazine. She enjoys reading and writing freely in her spare time, and looks forward to meeting students this year! 

She/her/hers pronouns.

Sravya Bahudodda ’21

Sravya is a senior from Farmington, CT, double majoring in Biology (with a Neuroscience concentration) and STS. On campus, she is the Treasurer of SPB and a member of SHOC. In her free time, she likes to dance, try new coffee shops and binge watch shows on HGTV. She is looking forward to helping her peers become more confident writers this year!