Amino Acid Composition of Oat Milk 

Being lactose intolerant, I am always looking for the best and healthiest plant-based milk (PBD). A study conducted by Bonke et al. discovered that oat milk, my favorite non-dairy milk, actually has a very weak amino acid composition, which is most likely due to high pH affecting the proteins. However, the researchers found that combining legumes, such as peas, with the oats, the amino acid composition improved in comparison to the recommended daily intake (RDI). This oat and pea milk combination resulted in high concentrations of phenylalanine, leucine, and threonine, as well as moderate concentrations of isoleucine, valine, and methionine, and increases in the amounts of histidine and lysine. These increases are much more in line with the WHO’s RDI. Moving forward, I will definitely be looking for ways to implement this research into my diet, as amino acid deficiency can be linked to lowered immunity, digestive issues, lethargy, and other health problems.

This entry was posted in Reflections. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Amino Acid Composition of Oat Milk 

1. Ziqin Yang says:

This is very interesting! I am not lactose-intolerant nor am I a vegetarian/vegan, but I love to put oat milk, instead of cow milk, into my coffee. The texture and thickness of oat milk just make coffee so much better. It was interesting to learn that oat milk doesn’t have a strong amino acid composition, but I assume that its fiber content should be high. I googled pea milk, and yes, there is a pea milk product. According to a review on the Beet., pea milk has double the amount of protein as oat milk but more sodium, so maybe not everyone can take that as a substitute for oat milk or regular milk. And it seems like the pea taste in pea milk is stronger than the taste of oat in oat milk. I like the taste of oat, and I wouldn’t mind having it in my coffee or cereal, but I am not sure about pea milk. Personally, I would stick with my oat milk latte but try to incorporate legumes in my diet as well. Thanks for your post! It is very informative.

2. kroy23 says:

This is super cool! I am not lactose intolerant, however, I frequently make vegetarian dishes. When I make these dishes, I try to use foods that contain all nine essential amino acids. This is because I want to ensure I get enough complete protein in my diet. One food I use that is a complete protein is quinoa. Quinoa is a whole grain that is a good source of plant protein and fiber. Since it is a complete protein, it contains histidine, isoleucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and valine.

3. I found this really interesting! I think it’s important to note that the increase in histidine and lysine is very important because these are two of the essential amino acids for humans. After doing a quick google search for foods containing all the essential amino acids (called complete proteins), it seems there are not a lot of vegetarian or vegan options. This could be a reason why the demand for animal meat is so high, causing corporations to employ unethical methods.

4. Erin Dustin says:

This is really interesting and important for everyone to keep in mind, but is especially important for people with dietary restrictions.

Similarly, my sister ( who is not lactose-intolerant) used to be vegan, but often had trouble eating enough protein, and thus was not getting enough amino acids into her diet. While vegan, she experienced many of the symptoms you list above (i.e. digestive issues, lethargy). While this of course does not happen to all vegans, my sister was not diligent about what she was eating, which caused these problems. In general, it is important for everyone to ensure that their diet consists of enough protein (i.e.amino acids), especially essential amino acids that our bodies are unable to produce on their own.