I Think I’m Going to Run a Marathon

Okay, so I’ve wanted to run a marathon for a few years now and I have never had the guts to just do it. My friend ran in the Boston Marathon two years ago as a “one time thing” and since then she has already run in the Chicago Marathon since then because she loved it so much and is now hooked. Naively, I believe that I won’t get hooked on marathon running as I am also calling this a “one time thing,” but who knows. Hearing Mr. Westphal’s story today as well as hearing that he will be at the Sugarloaf Marathon had me excited once again about the possibility of running a marathon myself. In a matter of hours, I’ve already looked up and found the training program that I believe I can stick to fairly flexibly (http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51139/home.html), I’ve looked at the course map and noted the fact that there is a 7.24 mile climb at one point (and I’m totally not intimidated). I’ve gone to the registration page and been too scared to register. I’ve been doing research. I’m ready to go.

Now once I did my research and found out for some reason I still want to do this, I knew there was only one thing that I needed to do. What I needed to do was make sure I kept my promise that I’m making to myself. I know how I work, I have crazy ideas of things that I want to do once every couple of hours, but they never come to anything. However, I want to believe this one will be different. Why? I’m going to tell everyone that I’m running a marathon, and that way I can’t back out of running a marathon. That is why I’m writing this down on a blog, so people know I’m planning on running a marathon. All of you now have to hold me accountable. You might say, “Well you have a screen name, so this could be anyone.” And all I have to say to that is that this is Cole Turissini, and I hate that I’m committing to this so strongly, but this is the only way for me to actually achieve stuff like this. Also, I’m trying to get my dad to do the 15k while I do the marathon, and that would really help my motivation to train to accomplish this. He’s gotten very into running recently and a 15k wouldn’t be too hard for him. He would also help me during the race as he will probably start running with me about the time where I’m going to hit the wall, and I’m not going to be a worse runner than my dad so that will keep me moving. So far he seems pretty hesitant (see screenshot), but more worried about me than him so I think I’ll get him to do it with me. Having him at my side when I finish would be awesome as well.

5 Responses to I Think I’m Going to Run a Marathon

1. Update: Cole did run the Sugarloaf Marathon. Despite an injury that interrupted his training, he finished in 4:21:20!

2. PokemonHunter says:

I wish you the in your endeavor. I one day hope to compete in one myself. However, even the thought of all the training is very stressful. Maybe one day though…

3. BornAgainAthlete says:

Really love seeing the parental exchange of very conservative endorsement and advice. Been down that road. Seeing Mike’s video nearly made me think about running a marathon as well, but the rower in me is more enticed by the countless laps on Cranberry island. Either way, I think it is possible to do it by May but definitely a challenge to be able to do it healthily and well by then.

4. TinyTurtle says:

You’ve inspired me to consider running a marathon! Like your father said though, it may be a little early to run in May for me. I’m in no shape to run a marathon right now, but I wish you the best in your training!

5. That’s a brave statement! Sugarloaf is actually a great course, rolling hills in the beginning keep you honest, then all downhill for 16 miles. It’s my PR course and where I chose to qualify for Boston when I really wanted to run in 2010. The 15K is a piece of cake, all downhill. For my first marathon, I followed a 10-week training plan, but at the time I had been running about 30 miles a week consistently for several years. The key is not to build up too fast. Let’s have lunch sometime and we can chat more about it.