The Human brain is something that is fascinating to me, but I also know very little about it. Though I have been lectured to about the various effects of drugs by a few different people, and therefore have a few sections of the brain, namely those that process dopamine, serotonin and other chemicals that are associated with addictive drugs. However, the little I know about the brain begins and ends with humans. Prior to this lecture, I knew nothing about insect brains. Though I assumed that they share many of the same characteristics as human brains since they are often studied, it was incredibly interesting to learn the specific differences between the human and insect brain. The brain has always captivated my attention, its nuance, its complexities, and most importantly its ability to adapt, learn and develop. As I have found with many of these lectures, I leave with more questions than when I arrive. Having known very little about the origin of anything from the universe to Italian Poetry or Novel Writing, I am repeatedly exposed to a new corner of the world which I know little to nothing about. In the brief time, it is impossible to learn the origins of anything to a satisfactory level. However, opening up these corners of the world, and shedding a bit of light on them makes me more curious, and I find myself wondering about the finer points of origins often. Can we prove the big bang? If we can prove that it happened, but we can’t prove how or why, then is this finding really significant? Does investigating this idea bring us more answers or will it lead to more questions, as the brief lecture on it has for me? How is is possible to define the first novel except by the definition used at the time when it was written? Is it possible to define the boundaries between poetry and music, or does doing so pigeon-hole a broad art form into a claustrophobically tight academic category? It was fascinating to learn so much about both a topic that I was previously very uninformed about, as well as a whole different method for investigating the topic. I was fascinated by the video that he showed of cognitive functions within insect brains, particularly given the express similarities between the human and the insect brain. It was very cool to see the brain function in this way. Given the similarities between insects and humans, it is interesting to think about how we can use the insects brain to improve upon the human brain. What diseases, mental and physical can be solved by the using the same adaptations that insect brains are able to use? By using adaptations from different animals to help solve the problems that currently plague the human brain, there are infinite possibilities to make humans smarter, happier and healthier. We could improve our physical and mental abilities by great amounts, and therefore expand the possibilities for future technological innovation.