Bienvenidos a Chile

After a wild couple of days, missed flights, and extra flights (shoutout to hurricane Dorian) I finally arrived in Chile for the first of three countries in my abroad program. Here I will get the chance to learn about the Human Rights movements in Chile with consideration to the cultural and historical context and with a specific focus on women and indigenous people’s movements. During the program, I will be having homestays. My first homestay is an incredible family who lives in Santiago. I live with a mother (Kekah) and father (Ricardo) as well as three siblings (Paula, Sebastian, and Amanda). Luckily for me and Julianne, another girl from my program, Kekah is a great cook who makes us a homecooked meal every night! The following is a mass conglomerate of some of the food I’ve experienced in Santiago from both my host family and also when I’ve gone out to eat, but mostly from my homestay because homecooked food is always better. I tried to include the food that I thought was particularly interesting or unique!

This is pebre which is a super common food in Chile. It’s kind of similar to a not-spicy pico de gallo that you put on bread. This is super common in restaurants as part of appetizers and also it is delicious.
This is a picture of a delicious soup! This recipe comes from the south of Chile, where my host father is from. He claims that the best meat in Chile comes from the South. It contains vegetables and meat (a theme in a lot of the food from the South but that is for another blog). Also side note, the egg wasn’t originally part of the soup, but when my host mom found out that I was taking a picture for my blog she insisted that this was the best way to eat and that it would look better. She also cut up a lemon for my water just for the photo. She’s adorable.
Another food that I have consumed a lot of since being in Chile is empanadas. They are very versatile and can basically be filled with anything. Our host mom typically fills them with beef, onions, a boiled egg, and a single olive in each empanada.
This is a dessert that is long pieces of fried dough covered in powder sugar. It was sweet, but not too sweet. My sixteen-year-old host sister found them very amusing because the translation of their name, calzones rotos, in English means broken underwear. That being said, I literally ate half this plate.
This dish called Pastel de Choclo. Choclo means corn and it was basically a bowl of assorted things similar to the empanada filling, but this was cooked in a creamy sweet cornbread
I’m gonna be honest, I don’t know what the name of this dish was, but I thought it was interesting. It was rice with some sort of seafood mixed into it and lil shrimp on the side as well as tomatoes. It’s really common that no matter what the dish is they also put out a plate of tomatoes like a “salad”.
This is a Venezuelan arepa that I got from a super cute little restaurant. I wanted to add this to my post because the immigrant population is important to the culture and history of Chile although this narrative isn’t often talked about.
I have also had an absurd amount of juice in Chile, but often this juice is super pulpy with chunks of the fruit still in there. This is a photo of some awesome basil lemonade featuring my even more awesome professor who is teaching two of my classes and travels with us to all three countries.

So far Chile has been an incredible experience with lots of delicious food!