Enjoying what London has to offer

London is such an amazing city, there are endless things to do. I guess that’s why they have the saying “sick of London, sick of life”. Me and my brother have been able to do some great things together since we’ve arrive 2 weeks ago.

One of the first things we did was some non conventional political engagement. We participated in the Fridays for Future Climate strike which Greta Thunberg started. It is estimated that over 6 million people participated worldwide. In London it is estimated that over one hundred thousand people participated. My brother wore my “Make America Green Again” T shirt. It gives me some hope that there are so many people who care about changing the world. London is a good place to make some change.

Another advantage of being in London is all the amazing museums that we can explore. We went to the Olafur Eliasson exhibit at the Tate Modern and it was one of my favorite exhibits I’ve ever seen. A lot of his work makes powerful statements about the climate crisis and it was truly amazing to see how he incorporated a political message in the modern art. We also visited the British museum which is really amazing as well. We saw an exhibit on money, which was very interesting. It got me and my brother talking about the future of money and we both decided that bills and coins are probably on the way out and the future is in credit cards and contactless payments.

the clubs and pubs here are also really cool. My brother and I have been trying to find out all the best spots to go out and dance and for watching football(soccer) games. We watched Manchester city beat Everton 3-1 on Saturday. I find it a bit ridiculous that I am legally allowed to buy and drink as much alcohol as I want when I am over here— and then when I come back to the US in December I won’t be allowed to do the same.(I turn 21 on January 5th) . It really is so stupid.

I am really excited about my classes, I think they will be very interesting and that I will learn and grow as a person and intellectual while I am over here. I think the courses I am taking here will complement what I have already learned and will continue to learn at Colby very nicely.

Ed