san sebastian

Hola Colby familia! Bienvenidos a mi viaje al extranjero.

I’ve been in Barcelona for about a month now, and while I’m still working on adjusting to the city, it has yet to feel like home. Funnily enough, Barcelona reminds me a lot of NYC (where I’m from). The constant bustle, the taxi’s rounding the corners like speed racers, and the ever-present Golden Arches of McDonalds, all remind me that even on the other side of the world, nothing is really that different.

Perhaps my favorite place I’ve been so far is San Sebastian, on the North West coast of Spain. San Sebastian is located in the Basque region of Spain, which is known as the gastronomical capital of the country. Needless to say, copious amounts of delicious foods, and a bit too much wine, were consumed. My favorite part of San Sebastian was the beach. It’s gorgeous white sand, rolling waves, and the docks that sit at the edge of the swimming section (with slides!!) were perfect for a beach bum like me. But besides the beautiful scenery and delicious food, I learned a lot about who I am, who I prefer to travel with, and how.

Since the trip was last minute, I went with a group of 19 other girls. Yeah….19. That’s a LOT. While I was good at separating myself when it got too much, and not letting myself do anything I didn’t want to do, the amount of different personalities was overwhelming, and I mostly just wished to be alone. It’s not that I didn’t / don’t like the girls I traveled with, because I do and I had a great time, however I learned that being in a large group definitely detracts from your experience in a place, and your ability to connect with it. Next time I’ll go back with a few best friends, or maybe my family, munch on some pinxos, sip some calimoxo, and go for a swim!