Orientation Recap

My experience traveling and settling in to Prague went fairly smooth. The only downside to the orientation was that the first three nights we had to stay in a hostel/hotel. Trying to adjust to a new city while living out of suitcase is not the best feeling. There were many things I immediately noticed that were different than the US. First of all, the restaurant service is mediocre because the waiters/waitresses get paid a livable wage. Also, even though the food and drinks tend to be a lot cheaper than the US you have to pay for things such as water and public bathrooms. Czech people also tend to be socially more reserved which took some getting used to coming from a small town and college. 

Overall, I have really enjoyed my time in Prague as the orientation has come to an end. Our second week of orientation revolved around Czech language, which made me feel much more comfortable being able to simply greet people. My class even visited a Czech school and talked to 9th and 7th graders to learn more about each other’s culture.

I am living in a four person apartment with three of my friends from Colby which has been a great experience. The first time going to the grocery store was pretty daunting with no English to be seen but we have acquired a lot of food that we have been cooking in our kitchen. As far as hobbies go I recently joined a fitness center to continue to get exercise and kill some free time. 

The last day of orientation involved a trip to Cesky Krumlov which is a magical looking town with a huge castle in the south of the Czech Republic about 2.5 hours away from Prague. We spent four hours walking around the castle and the town which was really beautiful. See pictures below!