2016 Global Images Photo Contest

Slide1Thank you to all students who submitted their beautiful photos and congratulations to all our winning photos!!  This year we received 36 photos submitted by 24 students.  Photos were judged not only on the picture but also the student’s description/interpretation of the photo based on the category descriptions.  There are 4 categories with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place for each category.  The 1st place photos are shown below.  To view all photo submissions and to “like” your favorites, check out the Off-Campus Study at Colby College Facebook page.

Category 1:  Landscapes & Streetscapes – 1st place:

A Window in Granada

A Window in Granada: This is a photo I took inside the Alhambra looking out over the city of Granada. Some of my most memorable experiences in Spain were weekend trips sponsored by our program. One of these trips was to the neighboring city of Granada, where a group of about 30 students and I were given a tour of the Alhambra by two of our professors. There’s a reason it is the most visited tourist destination in Spain – the views and architecture throughout the Alhambra are stunning, and the history of the palace and surrounding buildings is fascinating. This is one of many architecturally impressive rooms in the Alhambra, with a spectacular view of the town and mountains that surround it. (Sevilla, Spain) submitted by Ben Bostwick ’17

Category 2:  Portraits:  1st place:

Caras de la Crisis: One of the most valuable classes I took abroad happened to be one I added on a whim at the last minute – a photography class. The course revolved around a semester long project of our choosing. With the conscious objective to explore the city and improve my language skills, I decided to photograph the city’s homeless population and conduct follow-up interviews with each of them. Each of these interviews was challenging, and this one with Mari was no different. Living with a disability, she has struggled to find work in a country whose youth unemployment has hovered around 45%. Yet one of her biggest struggles, she said, was watching so many people pass her each day and feeling as though no one cared about her or her situation. I took this picture before our discussion and was struck by how her sentiments shown through in the picture. (Sevilla, Spain) submitted by Ben Bostwick '17
Caras de la Crisis: One of the most valuable classes I took abroad happened to be one I added on a whim at the last minute – a photography class. The course revolved around a semester long project of our choosing. With the conscious objective to explore the city and improve my language skills, I decided to photograph the city’s homeless population and conduct follow-up interviews with each of them. Each of these interviews was challenging, and this one with Mari was no different. Living with a disability, she has struggled to find work in a country whose youth unemployment has hovered around 45%. Yet one of her biggest struggles, she said, was watching so many people pass her each day and feeling as though no one cared about her or her situation. I took this picture before our discussion and was struck by how her sentiments shown through in the picture. (Sevilla, Spain) submitted by Ben Bostwick ’17

Category 3:  The Global Classroom: 1st place

Glacier Ice in Patagonia: While backpacking through Torres del Paine, the famed national park of the Chilean Patagonia, local employees of the park taught us all about glaciers, including how the beautiful blue color of the ice is caused by the slow removal of oxygen during the melting and refreezing of ice blocks. They also gave me my first real world lesson of climate change, describing how the Patagonian glaciers (including the one in the picture) are receding by over a hundred feet every year. Its amazing what you can learn from strangers. (Patagonia, Chile) submitted by Craig Ballard '17
Glacier Ice in Patagonia: While backpacking through Torres del Paine, the famed national park of the Chilean Patagonia, local employees of the park taught us all about glaciers, including how the beautiful blue color of the ice is caused by the slow removal of oxygen during the melting and refreezing of ice blocks. They also gave me my first real world lesson of climate change, describing how the Patagonian glaciers (including the one in the picture) are receding by over a hundred feet every year. Its amazing what you can learn from strangers. (Patagonia, Chile) submitted by Craig Ballard ’17

Category 4:  The Student Experience: 1st place

The Sailboat//Sejlåden: One of the last activities I participated in consisted of sailing with my host mom, Bolette, and her friends from the Danish Marine Coast Guard. Now this was one of the few times I had been on a boat, so no sailing skills were gained in this excursion, but this was an experience that culminated my bonding with Bolette as well as my involvement in Danish culture. Originally, I was supposed to be on the same boat as Bolette, but because of a conflict, I ended up on a sailboat with two of her friends while she was on the boat that is in the picture. Throughout my time abroad I learned to be adaptable in situations that may make me uncomfortable, like being on a boat with two strangers or not being able to communicate with others. Learning to be flexible in life can open you so many amazing experiences that you might not have engaged in otherwise. Thankfully I was able to enjoy my host mom’s love of sailing, and I even got to steer the boat through the harbor! After our sailing excursion, we ended the night with “hygge” - good food, company, and conversation - a Danish farewell from my host mom. (Greve Strand, Denmark) submitted by Danielle Bagley '17
The Sailboat//Sejlåden: One of the last activities I participated in consisted of sailing with my host mom, Bolette, and her friends from the Danish Marine Coast Guard. Now this was one of the few times I had been on a boat, so no sailing skills were gained in this excursion, but this was an experience that culminated my bonding with Bolette as well as my involvement in Danish culture. Originally, I was supposed to be on the same boat as Bolette, but because of a conflict, I ended up on a sailboat with two of her friends while she was on the boat that is in the picture. Throughout my time abroad I learned to be adaptable in situations that may make me uncomfortable, like being on a boat with two strangers or not being able to communicate with others. Learning to be flexible in life can open you so many amazing experiences that you might not have engaged in otherwise. Thankfully I was able to enjoy my host mom’s love of sailing, and I even got to steer the boat through the harbor! After our sailing excursion, we ended the night with “hygge” – good food, company, and conversation – a Danish farewell from my host mom. (Greve Strand, Denmark) submitted by Danielle Bagley ’17

Congratulations again to all !!

***Update to photo contest****

The People’s Choice award is given to the photo that receives the most “Likes” on our Off-Campus Study facebook page.  This year’s winner is Yichen Lu for her photo “Portuguese Streetscape”:

Porto, Portugal is made of wonderful Port wine and marvelous architecture. From the unique façade of each building on the street of Porto, I see Southern European’s passion toward an artistic life. (Porto, Portugual)
Porto, Portugal is made of wonderful Port wine and marvelous architecture. From the unique façade of each building on the street of Porto, I see Southern European’s passion toward an artistic life. (Porto, Portugual) submitted by Yichen Lu ’17