I found several topics that overlapped between the talk about futurism and violence and Ana’s talk about Military Patients and Medical Power in WWI that I thought would be interesting to discuss. In the lecture on futurism, Professor Rizzo mentioned that futurists claim that a “war is a leap forward for humanity.” Although it did seem like a very extreme view, after I had conducted further research after Ana’s talk, I know about how rapid and important the medical advancements were during WWI. Hence, that led me to think that this statement, although extreme, could have some truth in it.

Another topic that was mentioned in both lectures was on human beings becoming more machine-like. The futuristic view regards this as advancement in the human capability, and therefore positive transformation. In the lecture, Professor Rizzo quoted: “Surgery has already begun the great transformation. After Carrel surgical war will carry out the physiological revolution with lightning speed. Fusion of Steel and Flesh. Humanization of steel and metallization of flesh with the multiplied man. Body motor with interchangeable and replaceable parts. Immortality of men!” Though I still am hesitant to say humans becoming more robotized is ‘better’, I recognize that in recent years there are large advancements in technology that allow for these ‘robotized transformations’ of human beings, even if it means just having a pacemaker or having a prosthetic leg. This ethical question about whether robotized humans are ‘better’ or not has become something that is difficult to avoid.