Meet the Board

Cara Goldfarb ’17 and Ryan Weeks ’16

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 12.14.54 PM

Cara is a junior and an Environmental Policy major from Chappaqua, NY. Apart from being the Co-President of Hillel, Cara is a Waterville Jewish Leadership Fellow, a COOT Leader (Colby Outdoor Orientation Trips), a member of the Oak Student Committee, and the Co-Program Coordinator of the Mid-Maine Homeless Shelter. In her free time she loves to travel, learn about other cultures, and spend time outdoors.

No matter how busy I am with schoolwork or extracurricular activities, I have always found a place of comfort within the Hillel community at Colby. With such a vibrant group of students and an abundance of great programming, I know that meaningful conversations will never be lacking (and most likely, neither will delicious homemade food). Hillel and its close connection to the Beth Israel Synagogue in Waterville bring a sense of home to Maine, and I could not imagine my Colby experience without them.

Ryan is a senior from Framingham, MA majoring in Biochemistry and Mathematical Sciences. Along with being the Co-President of Hillel, Ryan is a varsity swimmer on Colby’s swimming and diving team, a CCAK mentor, and he is very excited for his second semester as Co-President and looks forward to Hillel’s continued growth!

His favorite part of Hillel are the weekly Shabbat dinners cooked by members. It is always a great way to finish off a stressful week of schoolwork with Hillel’s diverse community of students!

Executive Board

Chantal Naegeli ’18 – Vice President

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 12.24.54 PM

My name is Chantal Naegeli and I am from Montclair, New Jersey. I am a freshman at Colby, and will be double-majoring in Anthropology and in French and possibly minoring in art. Apart from being on the Hillel board, I am also a part of CCAK, Maine Aspiration Tours, and Mediocre A Cappella group. I can’t wait to be on the board this semester. There are so many cool people in Hillel, and some really great food! Hillel is a great way to meet new people in the Colby community, and the best part is everyone is welcome!

Jane Wiesenberg ’16 – Education Coordinator

IMG_0864(1)Jane is a Government and Spanish major from Mamaroneck, NY. Apart from Hillel, she is involved with the Goldfarb Center, Outside Colby, Colby Democrats, and CCAK. Thai and Torah has been a highlight of Jane’s Hillel experience, and she is looking forward to another great semester of Shabbat dinners and growing the Hillel community!

Gabi Cortez ’16- Pugh Center Liaison

Gabi is an Anthro-3pology major and Cinema Studies minor going into her Junior year at Colby. Along with Hillel, Gabi is a member of the COOT Committee (Colby Outdoor Orientation Trips) and a COOT leader, a mentor in Hardy Girls Healthy Women, and she also works in the admissions office as a receptionist assistant. She will be going abroad during the Spring semester to Brazil, India, and South Africa. One of her favorite aspects of Colby Hillel is the way that it connects her to so many different people, both in the Colby community and throughout Waterville.

Amanda Kirsch ’17 

imageAmanda Kirsch is a sophomore from Atlanta, Georgia currently majoring in Biology. After being Assistant Stage Manager her freshman year, Amanda is hoping to participate in more shows with Powder and Wig- Colby’s theatre club. She is so grateful for the welcoming community Hillel provides, and looks forward to being part of the board.

Hannah Heyman ’16 – Kitchen Coordinator

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.40.35 PMHannah is a Psychology major from Westchester, New York. Besides working in Hillel, I enjoy spending my time mentoring for CCAK, volunteering at the Mid Maine Homeless Shelter, and working as a member of SPB. I love to cook and bake, and hope to be able to bring the joy from the kitchen into Hillel programming and events this year.

Rachel Bird ’18- Kitchen Coordinator

Hi! I’m a sophomore from Bethesda, Maryland. I’m an anthropology/studio art double major and a creative writing minor. I volunteer at the Waterville Humane Society, and I enjoy spending too much money at Selah Tea (their chocolate rooibos tea is truly life-changing). I’m really excited to be more involved with Hillel this year!

Ilana Zyatitsky ’18 – Member at Large

Ilana is a freshmen and a government or global studies major and minoring in Russian. Apart from Hillel, she is on the Crew Team and participated in Model UN. She looks forward to being on the Hillel board as being Jewish has always been an important part of her life.

Alex Wolansky ’17 – Member at Large.  Abroad Fall 2015

Alex is a sophomore majoring in Spanish and minoring in Economics and Sociology from Houston, Texas. In addition to Hillel, he is a member of the finance committee, a member of the investment club, a mentor for CCAK, and an avid snowboarder at the loaf. He is very excited to study abroad in Santiago, Chile during the fall of his Junior year and is very excited for all of the upcoming Hillel events this spring!