Meet the Board

Co-Presidents: Jane Wiesenberg and Gabi Cortez ’16

-2Hey everyone! I’m Jane and I’m a sophomore from Mamaroneck, NY. I’m a Government major, and apart from Hillel, I am also involved with CCAK, the Goldfarb Center, and Outside Colby. I’m very excited about this upcoming year of Hillel, especially planning a bunch of new events and, of course, eating great food and meeting new people at Shabbat dinners!

-3Gabi Cortez is a sophomore at Colby and is an American Studies major with a minor in Cinema Studies. As well as being a member of the Hillel Board, she throws the hammer for the Women’s Track and Field team and is on the Oak Student Committee. Gabi is a huge fan of Shabbat dinners and chatting about anything!

Chair for Development: Ben Zurkow ’15

-1 Hey Mules, I’m Ben. One of your co-presidents this year. I’m a junior, I play football and throw the Javelin.  I’ve been involved with Hillel since my freshman year, but I’m really looking forward to this one.

Vice President: Cara Goldfarb ’17

-1Hello! My name is Cara and I am a freshman from Chappaqua, NY, planning on majoring in Environmental Policy. Apart from being on the Hillel Board, I am a Waterville Jewish Leadership Fellow, a member of the Goldfarb Center Student Advisory Committee, and along with my fellow Green Cluster friends have co-found MSMP (Maine Students for Mountain Protection). In my free time I love to travel, learn about other cultures, and spend time outdoors!

Vice President: Ben Fine ’17

benfineHi Guys! My name is Ben Fine and I am a freshman from Weston, MA. In addition to being involved in Hillel, I am a varsity athlete on the swimming and diving team. Being half Israeli, Judaism and Israel both play a huge role in my life. Ever since coming to Colby, Hillel has provided me with a safe space and the opportunity to share my values and passions and has also given me the chance to learn new ways of thinking about Judaism and my connection to Israel. I am so excited for the upcoming semester of Hillel events and Shabbat dinners!

Kitchen Coordinator: Hannah Heyman ’16

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.40.35 PMHello! I’m Hannah and I’m a sophomore from Hastings-on-Hudson, NY. I am majoring in Psychology, and apart from Hillel I am also a CCAK mentor, volunteer at the Homeless Shelter, and member of SPB. I love to cook and talk about all things food and I’m really excited to be working on Hillel Board!

Publicity Chair: Madeline Kurtz ’14
Madeline Kurtz

Hi! I’m Maddie Kurtz and I’m a junior from Westport, CT, double majoring in Religious Studies and Theater and Dance. Aside from Hillel, I am the CA in Taylor, a.k.a. the best dorm on campus, and a member of Colby Ambassadors. I love to dance and am an avid yogi…and obviously love to eat latkes and kugel. I am so excited to be back on the Hill and the Hillel Board!

Beth Israel Liason: Lyndsey Pecker ’14 

I am a senior with a double major in Government and French from New York City. I love to travel, speak different languages and explore new cultures! I am also a Waterville Jewish Leadership Fellow.

Lydia Nicholson ’16: Multi-Faith Representative

lydia

Hello! I’m Lydia and I’m a Sophomore from Durham, NC majoring in American Studies and Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies. Along with working on the Hillel board, I am SPB Social Co-Chair, and a CCAK mentor. I can’t wait to work on Hillel towards our multi-faith goals and to continue to grow and strengthen the Hillel community!

Kitchen Coordinator: Sonja Hagemeier ’15

20_18AHello!  My name is Sonja Hagemeier and I am a Junior from New York City.  I am a German and Religious Studies double major with a minor in Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.  Aside from being a Kitchen Coordinator and organizing and cooking and baking for Shabbat, I am a CA, am on the Steering Committee for the Bridge (Colby’s Gay Straight Alliance), volunteer at Barrels market, and work in Colby’s farm in the warmer months.

Kitchen Coordinator: Anne Schechner ’15

Anne

Hello! I’m a Junior from New York majoring in Environmental Science, and am one of the Hillel Shabbat Dinner Coordinators this spring.  On campus, i’m also a member of the Ultimate Frisbee team and a TA for the biology department.  I’m excited for all of the Hillel programming coming up- come join us!