Meet the Board

Jane Wiesenberg and Gabi Cortez 16’– Co- Presidents

IMG_0864(1)Jane is a Government and Spanish major from Mamaroneck, NY. Apart from Hillel, she is involved with the Goldfarb Center, Outside Colby, Colby Democrats, and CCAK. Thai and Torah has been a highlight of Jane’s Hillel experience, and she is looking forward to another great semester of Shabbat dinners and growing the Hillel community!

Gabi is an Anthro-3pology major and Cinema Studies minor going into her Junior year at Colby. Along with Hillel, Gabi is a member of the COOT Committee (Colby Outdoor Orientation Trips) and a COOT leader, a mentor in Hardy Girls Healthy Women, and she also works in the admissions office as a receptionist assistant. She will be going abroad during the Spring semester to Brazil, India, and South Africa. One of her favorite aspects of Colby Hillel is the way that it connects her to so many different people, both in the Colby community and throughout Waterville.

Cara Goldfarb and Ben Fine 17’– Vice Presidents

-1Cara is a sophomore and an Environmental Policy major from Chappaqua, NY. Apart from being on the Hillel Board, Cara is a Waterville Jewish Leadership Fellow, a member of the Goldfarb Center Student Advisory Committee, and a co-founder of MSMP (Maine Students for Mountain Protection). This past summer she was an intern at the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism in Washington, D.C. In her free time she loves to travel, learn about other cultures, and spend time outdoors.

benfineHi Guys! My name is Ben Fine and I am a Sophomore from Weston, MA. In addition to being involved in Hillel, I am a varsity athlete on the swimming and diving team. Being half Israeli, Judaism and Israel both play a huge role in my life. Ever since coming to Colby, Hillel has provided me with a safe space and the opportunity to share my values and passions and has also given me the chance to learn new ways of thinking about Judaism and my connection to Israel. I am so excited for the upcoming semester of Hillel events and Shabbat dinners!

Anne Schechner 15’ – Social Chair

AnneHello! I’m a Senior from New York majoring in Environmental Science. On campus, I’m also a member of the Ultimate Frisbee team and a TA for the biology department. I’m excited for all of the Hillel programming coming up- come join us!

Laura Rosenthal 15’– Media and Marketing

Laura Rosenthal is an English Major with a concentration in creative writing. At Colby, you can find Laura tutoring in the Writers’ Center, or running back and forth between the Hillel and Pugh Community Board rooms in the Pugh Center. After a semester abroad in London, Laura is looking forward to returning to Colby for her senior year. She is excited to make Shabbat dinners and celebrate holidays with the Beth Israel community.

Sarah Rockford 15’– Beth Israel Waterville Ambassador

1002659_10152235570132836_335562812_nSarah is a French and Global Studies double major from Denver, Colorado. Coming back from her junior year abroad in Paris, Sarah is looking forward to spending her senior year playing on the Ultimate Frisbee team, volunteering at Barrels Community Market and figuring what she wants to do with her life after college. One of the most rewarding parts of her participation in Colby Hillel has been getting to know the congregants of Beth Israel synagogue in Waterville and being part of this greater community founded on Torah learning and infused with Maine pride.

Lydia Nicholson 16’ – Multi- faith representative

1920181_10204142781156579_6642472592281269519_nHi! My name is Lydia and I am now a Junior at Colby! I am a double major in American Studies and Women’s Gender and Sexuality Studies and I love religion, Maine, and food! For Fall 2014 I’m traveling around Europe studying Women’s and Gender studies. But in Spring 2015 I’ll return and I’m excited to be back for my third semester as Multi-faith coordinator for Hillel. Besides Hillel, in the spring I will also be doing publicity for SPB, hanging out CCAK with my mentee, and serving on the Multi-Faith Council Board. Go Hillel!

Ben Zurkow 15’ – Student outreach

-1Ben is a Physics major and Jewish Studies minor from Scarsdale, New York. In addition to his participation in Hillel, Ben plays cornerback for the football team and throws the javelin for the track and field team. His favorite part of Hillel are the home-cooked Shabbat dinners every Friday.

Amanda Kirsch 17’– Alumni outreach

imageAmanda Kirsch is a sophomore from Atlanta, Georgia currently majoring in Biology. After being Assistant Stage Manager her freshman year, Amanda is hoping to participate in more shows with Powder and Wig- Colby’s theatre club. She is so grateful for the welcoming community Hillel provides, and looks forward to being part of the board.

Becky Haft 17’– Secretary

IMG_4556Becky is pre-vet with a  Bio Major and Photography minor from Larchmont, NY. Returning to Colby for her Sophmore year, she looks forward to  volunteering at the local animal shelter,  organizing quidditch matches,  and spending more time with her CCAK mentee.  She is excited to participate in Hillel.

Hannah Heymann 17’– Kitchen Coordinator

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.40.35 PMHannah is a Psychology major from Westchester, New York. Besides working in Hillel, I enjoy spending my time mentoring for CCAK, volunteering at the Mid Maine Homeless Shelter, and working as a member of SPB. I love to cook and bake, and hope to be able to bring the joy from the kitchen into Hillel programming and events this year.

Sonja Hagemeier 15’– Kitchen Coordinator

20_18AMy name is Sonja Hagemeier and I am one of the Kitchen Coordinators for Hillel!  I love making challah, fermenting things and cooking.  At Colby, I am a Religious Studies Major with a German minor and I am also one of the Co-Chairs of the Bridge. I like to run and farm and read and bake and speak german and talk about interesting things. I love the Jewish community at Colby and am excited for all of the delicious food we will make this upcoming year!