Meet the Board

Cara Goldfarb ’17 and Ryan Weeks ’16

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 12.14.54 PM

Cara is a junior and an Environmental Policy major from Chappaqua, NY. Apart from being the Co-President of Hillel, Cara is a Waterville Jewish Leadership Fellow, a COOT Leader (Colby Outdoor Orientation Trips), a member of the Oak Student Committee, and the Co-Program Coordinator of the Mid-Maine Homeless Shelter. In her free time she loves to travel, learn about other cultures, and spend time outdoors.

No matter how busy I am with schoolwork or extracurricular activities, I have always found a place of comfort within the Hillel community at Colby. With such a vibrant group of students and an abundance of great programming, I know that meaningful conversations will never be lacking (and most likely, neither will delicious homemade food). Hillel and its close connection to the Beth Israel Synagogue in Waterville bring a sense of home to Maine, and I could not imagine my Colby experience without them.

Ryan is a senior from Framingham, MA majoring in Biochemistry and Mathematical Sciences. Along with being the Co-President of Hillel, Ryan is a varsity swimmer on Colby’s swimming and diving team, a CCAK mentor, andHe is very excited for his second semester as Co-President and looks forward to Hillel‘s continued growth!

His favorite part of Hillel are the weekly Shabbat dinners cooked by students. It is always a great way to finish off a stressful week of schoolwork with Hillel‘s diverse community of students!

Executive Board

Chantal Naegeli ’18 – Vice President

Screen Shot 2015-02-24 at 12.24.54 PM

My name is Chantal Naegeli and I am from Montclair, New Jersey. I am a sophomore at Colby, and will be double-majoring in Anthropology and in French. Apart from being on the Hillel board, I am also a part of CCAK, Maine Aspiration Tours, and Mediocre A Cappella group. The best part about Hillel is meeting so many cool people, and also the really great food!

Jane Wiesenberg ’16 – Education Coordinator

Jane is a Government major from Mamaroneck, NY. Apart from Hillel, she is involved with the Goldfarb Center, Outside Colby, Colby Democrats, and CCAK. Last semester, she studied EU politics in Freiburg, Germany. Thai and Torah has been a highlight of Jane’s Hillel experience, and she is looking forward to another great semester of Shabbat dinners and growing the Hillel community!

Amanda Kirsch ’17 

imageAmanda is a junior majoring in Biology from Atlanta, GA. She adores shabbat dinners and other Hillel events that take place regularly in the Colby community. Outside of Hillel, she volunteers weekly cooking and serving meals at the Mid-Maine homeless shelter. Amanda is currently planning on studying abroad in Israel this Spring.

Since it can be a bit difficult maintaining Jewish life outside of a big city when your family is not around, Hillel is a huge help when it comes to keeping Judaism a part of my life. From having regular shabbat dinners, to making easy ways to attend services and keep traditions around holidays, to even having random Jewish-related and bonding activities, I can’t imagine having a Jewish experience at Colby without Hillel.

Hannah Heyman ’16 – Kitchen Coordinator

Screen Shot 2014-02-09 at 1.40.35 PMHannah is a Psychology major from Westchester, New York. Besides working in Hillel, I enjoy spending my time mentoring for CCAK, volunteering at the Mid Maine Homeless Shelter, and working as a member of SPB. I love to cook and bake, and hope to be able to bring the joy from the kitchen into Hillel programming and events this year.

Rachel Bird ’18- Kitchen Coordinator

Hi! I’m a sophomore from Bethesda, Maryland. I’m planning to major in Anthropology and minor in something interesting that I haven’t decided on yet. I volunteer at the Waterville Humane Society, and I enjoy spending too much money at Selah Tea. I’m really excited to be more involved with Hillel this year. My absolute favorite Jewish holiday is Purim, which I like to describe as a sort of drunken version of Halloween. Every year Hillel and the Beth Israel Congregation host a Purim party with delicious food, a Megillah reading, and a hilarious skit that tells the story of Purim (with some comedic license — last year the skit starred Batman!) It’s always fun to have a chance to dress up on goofy costumes, and there are tons of groggers (noisemakers) for everyone, children and college students alike.

Ilana Zyatitsky ’18 – Pugh Center Liason

Ilana is a sophomore and a government or global studies major and minoring in Russian. Apart from Hillel, she is on the Crew Team and participated in Model UN. She looks forward to being on the Hillel board as being Jewish has always been an important part of her life.

Alex Wolansky ’17 – Member at Large.  Abroad Fall 2015

Alex is a sophomore majoring in Spanish and minoring in Economics and Sociology from Houston, Texas. In addition to Hillel, he is a member of the finance committee, a member of the investment club, a mentor for CCAK, and an avid snowboarder at the loaf. He is very excited to study abroad in Santiago, Chile during the fall of his Junior year and is very excited for all of the upcoming Hillel events this spring!