Meet Our Advisor

Welcome!  My name is Rabbi Erica Asch and it is my  pleasure to serve Colby College as the Jewish Chaplain and the assistant director of the Center for Small Town Jewish Life. I also serve at the rabbi of Temple Beth El in Augusta, a Reform Congregation.

I have not followed a traditional path to becoming a rabbi. The daughter of a mixed marriage – her father is not Jewish – I grew up as one of a handful of Jewish kids in the Navy town of Coronado, California. Being part such a small minority intensified my sense of Jewish identity, which she cultivated further as a student at Oberlin College. After graduation, I joined Teach For America and taught high school math in the Mississippi Delta, where she discovered her life’s vocation — I realized that she wanted to spend her life teaching Judaism rather than algebra.

I received my rabbinic ordination from  Hebrew Union College-Jewish Institute of Religion in Cincinnati  and then took a position as a community organizer with the Industrial Areas Foundation, the first rabbi to do so directly out of rabbinical school. After three years with IAF, I served as a rabbi at Temple Sinai in Washington, D.C., before moving to Augusta in June 2013.

I am thrilled to join Colby College and to get to know the students and faculty on campus. I look forward to meeting all of you