Alumni News

2013 – Susannah Hufstader ’12  returned to campus this summer before moving on to graduate school in history at the University of Chicago in the fall.

2015 – Clifford Katz ’11 writes about his upcoming move to the West Coast:

… I’m moving out to Los Angeles in July to commence a dual MBA-Master of Urban Planning program at the University of Southern California, the very same university that suspended its undergraduate German program in 2009, though apparently has revived it…you might appreciate that one of my professors is from Hannover. His wife is Viennese…

2017 – Ramsey Meigs ’11 received his MBA from Duke University

2016 – Justin Mohler ’09 continues to make headlines as a graduate student in German at the University of Washington! DHSI participant in Vancouver, interviewer, Max Kade Fellow and conference organizer…
https://germanics.washington.edu/people/justin-mohler

2017 – William Qualey ’16 writes:  I’m currently living in Vienna on my second year of the “Austria Fulbright” (which is technically called “United States Teaching Assistant Program of the Austrian Ministry of Education, coordinated by Fulbright”). So last year I was at two Gymnasien in Eisenstadt and this year I’m at two Gymnasien in Vienna’s 18th district. I’m really enjoying the chance to live abroad and I actually love teaching a lot more than I thought I would, which has confirmed for me that I maybe want to become a professor later on. I’m not sure what my plans are for next year, but eventually I’d like to return to the U.S. for grad school.

2014 – Elizabeth Schneider ’12 is finishing up her second year as a Fulbright ETA in beautiful Vienna! Congratulations!

2017 – Carter Stevens ’13 completed law school at American University in D.C. with a dual J.D./M.A. International Relations program.

2013 – Suzanne Swartz ’07 visited Colby in March for a presentation to students thinking about graduate school:

…I majored in German Studies and History, and was an English Language Assistant in Austria the year after I graduated. Please feel free to pass my contact information on to students; I’m happy to speak with anyone thinking about study abroad, language assistantships, and ways to continue with German after they graduate.

2017 – Melanie Ungar ’08 received her Ph.D. in Germanic Languages and Literatures from UNC/Duke. Congratulations!

2013 – James Violette ’11 just began his graduate studies in English and History at the University of Fribourg, Switzerland, after two years as Fulbright ETA in Austria. Rumor has it that he is busy planning someone’s wedding.

2016 – Karat Witherill ’15 apparently had the time of her life as a Fulbright ETA in Germany. Her blog ‘From Maine to the Main’ offers some insights into the life of a Colby Fulbrighter in Germany (and beyond)!
https://homesweethassfurt.wordpress.com/