Last Thought

Before I went off to my first class for spring semester (well, classes have been started already), I was looking at the stuff I covered and experienced from a wonderful trip I had. That windy feeling of riding moped. The distribution of the sand samples we sifted in class. Snail presentation I made as a part of research project. Over a thousand of photos I took over 10 days. I still remember the feeling at the moment when I get up back to ship from snorkeling the North Rock.

Bermuda, in a sentence, is a living museum. I’ve been writing on the blog how Bermuda is geologically interesting in terms of its formation, coral reefs, cross-bedding sediments, and I couldn’t emphasize even more. We explored the caves by actually going inside with flashlight, observing the natural creation of stalagmite and stalactite, and swimming into a deep water. We explored the ocean of North Rock by snorkeling with marine lives and observing coral reefs. Learning from what we saw needs some follow-up explanation by an expert who knows really well about the location, and Bruce has done an incredible job on commenting many, many geologic points of interests, as well as the plants and animals that lives in Bermuda. Sure, people may have visited as a port of call for their cruise ship vacation, but not many of us could have such a cool chance to get to know with Bruce’s enthusiasm on Bermuda. That’s what made this class different from any other trips, turning each second of our stay memorable, unforgettable.

The title of this class I took is called “Geology of Bermuda,” but what we have covered over the last four weeks of class was in fact not just looking at the sediments, soils, and studying about how the islands of Bermuda were formed out of volcanic eruptions and coral reefs. We looked Bermuda in terms of (marine) biology, how the animals and plants came to this isolated island and started making their own lives. We looked at history, how humans ended up finding this island, settled down, and influencing Bermuda’s endemic environment. We looked at toxicology, how waste products from businesses and houses affect the animals having defects in certain parts of their body and how we should solve the problem. We looked at environmental science, in an effort of Bermudian scientists trying to preserve the endemic species by migrating as many endemic animals and plants as possible to a single, isolated island.

With the area of just 20 square miles, I never expected I could learn *that* much out of small islands in the Mid-Atlantic. And I believe, at certain extent, that Bermuda is representing the future of the whole planet — as covered by Dr. Wingate’s effort to save endemic species’ lives at Nonsuch Island, there’s a lot more that, not just us, but everyone in the world, can learn from Bermuda.

Before I signed up for the class I was taking this chance as if it is my first and last chance to visit Bermuda. Now that I have finished my trip, I genuinely feel that I wish I could go traveling again there to stay in such beautiful sights and appreciate the nature of Bermuda. Someday I will find a way on my own to get to the place I truly enjoyed.

Thanks for reading! Also for those who can read it, I wrote some similar thoughts in my mother tongue.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.