Bermuda

It has been almost a week since we left warm, sunny Bermuda. What a spectacular trip! When classmates that stayed on campus for JanPlan ask me to summarize my trip, I can’t help but repeat the words beautiful and amazing. It’s so hard to describe this class without going into great detail as to how truly great this experience was.

First of all, the flora of Bermuda was incredible. It seemed like such a treat to see green grass and flowers after coming from snow covered Maine. My favorite plant was the bay grape. Coming in reds, greens, and yellows, the huge leaves were sometimes as large as my face! Bruce mentioned that it might be possible to send them through the mail as postcards, but the people at BIOS looked at me funny when I asked about this. Oh well! I also really enjoyed the prickly pairs that seemed to be everywhere. They are so spiky that you have to be very careful around them.

Snorkeling. It was incredible. I still tell people every day that I got to see a sea turtle in Bermuda in its natural habitat! Being able to take a boat to North Rock and snorkel on the most beautiful coral reefs that I have ever seen was a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forget.

And the caves! Before leaving for Bermuda, I gave our class a presentation on the caves there. When I actually got to go in the first one, my expectations were definitely exceeded. Being able to explore caves was a highlight of this trip. But then to make it even better we got to swim in a cave! And the calcite inside the caves was beautiful! I didn’t realize how much I liked caves until I was introduced to them in Bermuda.

Most importantly, I learned so much in this class. Bruce kept everyone interested and taught us so much. His knowledge of this island and everything about it is truly incomparable. Having the opportunity to experience everything hands on and see things up close was so beneficial. Everyday was like an exploration for us. From the plants, to the rock formations, to the caves, to the general island geography, if it’s in Bermuda, Bruce knows (a lot) about it. When your professor loves a place as much as Bruce loves Bermuda, it makes the learning feel effortless.

I feel like there are so many people that I need to thank for making this trip possible. Bruce! I could go on and on about how awesome Bruce is. If anyone ever has a question about Bermuda, he’s the man to ask. Also, BIOS was an amazing place to stay. They took us on boat trips and plankton tows and fed us. Everyone there was just so friendly. And our group! Everyone was so eager to learn and was so kind. It was easier to have fun when we had such a great group of students there with us.

So now, here I am back at Colby. Every once in a while I find a little bit of sand somewhere in my room, a great reminder of an awesome trip.  I feel so lucky to have been able to take this class and travel to Bermuda. Thanks Bruce!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.