Fall Fish

The temperatures have dropped at night and flows are reasonable. Time is short, however, so I could make only a quick jaunt to nearby waters:

Fall Flows and Soft Water

Fall Flows and Soft Water

You can see the soft water to the right; not visible from the photo is the strong rapid to the left. Perfect holding water for brown trout sitting at the seam of the side eddy and the main flow. Several casts with a Woods Special streamer, dead drifted from middle of the rapid to the right—this was the method. I experimented with different speeds on the retrieve. One one retrieve, I felt as if I had dragged the streamer over a flat rock near the surface—except there were no rocks. I took this to be a gentle hit or bump. So I decided to retrieve more aggressively on the next cast. Fish in the fall seem more aggressive both to hand and in the water, and whether they are spawning or not, they are fattening up for the cold to come. You can sometimes startle them into an aggressive strike. After a strong retrieve and dead spot before the next one, BAM. This brown trout went airborne twice:

Swam Away Happy

Swam Away Happy

There’s only one moral to this story—get out and fish no matter what. After that one, I spent the rest of the day exploring new spots on this stretch, and I was confirmed in my suspicions by discovering another fly fisherman in the spot I had coveted. He was friendly, and had done well there—nada for me toward dark, when I had to leave.

Let’s hope Mr. Jumping Brown above was not my last fish in Maine for 2013!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.