Freeman and John Roderick Grant Recipients

Summer 2012 Freeman Internship Award Recipients and Reports
Max Berg’15, Migrant Education Center, Beijing, China.

This Summer Rory and I did internship at a migrant community center in the outskirt of Beijing. Our work at the center was mainly to expose the children to American culture and help with English/do activities with them. For the most part, the kids wanted to play games with us, so in that respect we divided time between playing games they were familiar with and games that we would then teach them (card games, board games, physical things like ‘tag’, etc.). Other time was spent helping them as students with English homework, which many of them seemed to have a great deal of over the summer break. The location of the center was particularly interesting for me, as it was in a sort of slum town and consisted only of a small rundown 4 room compound. All the same, I found the kids to be very similar to my conception of most American children I’ve been around. I could definitely see the different levels of maturity quite easily, but all were very respectful to Rory and me. 

Weisun Jiang’15,  Jones Lang LaSalle, Tokyo, Japan.
IMG_4550.jpg
This summer, John Roderick fund offers me a cool and great opportunity to work in Tokyo, Japan. I spent five weeks at the Facility Management department of Jones Lang LaSalle doing a comprehensive local market research. During my days there, the multi-culture collision and multi-information communicating provide me lots of real inspirations to the perception of life. I was also addicted to the authentic Japanese cuisine very much which made my skin smooth and radiant!!

Charles Madden’15, Little Bird Hotline for Migrants, Beijing, China. 
freeman.jpg
I spent my summer interning at Little Bird Migrant Workers’ Hotline in Beijing, China. I spent most of my time translating and editing publicity materials for potential donors. Because most of Little Bird’s donors are international foundations, having English material to show to donors is a necessity. Little Bird was also in the midst of opening a communications hotline to create a clear channel of communication between workers and management while I was there. I was able to help translate some of the material associated with that and learn about the recent history of work-related disputes and strikes in China that has led to this project. In addition to translating and editing, I helped distribute publicity materials around the city at the Beijing Railway, migrant worker hostels, and the subway.

Maria Luisa Zeta’15 (Sociology/Economics minor) Bangkok-Thailand
 DSCN1524.JPG
This past summer I had the amazing opportunity to intern at the Thailand Development Research Institute located in Bangkok. Thanks to the Freeman Foundation grant I was able to participate in an academic research focused on finding out the stage of Inclusive Growth in Thailand. Our research team was in charge of collecting, processing and analyzing data in the economic, social and political sectors respectively. As a research assistant I did not only learn how major research projects are conducted but also the importance of a multidisciplinary education that allows us to understand issues from different perspectives. This experience has also reinforced my interest on current socioeconomic issues faced by developing countries, especially social and economic inequality, as well as poverty.

Christine Zeng’13 (American Studies/Art),  Xiamen Greencross Association, Xiamen,  China. 
201208031709510.jpg
This summer I worked with the Xiamen Greencross Association, an environmental NGO in Xiamen, Fujian in China. Throughout my time there, we held and attended several environmental advocacy conferences and events. One of the conferences included creating the first-ever environmental NGO network in China. For this conference, I designed the banner and translated the first and revised constitutions. I continued my design and translation duties with the Xiamen Green Map. My other responsibilities included becoming the link between the association and our Danish funders, who needed translations and up-to-date information on conferences. Towards the end of my internship period, I also helped with translations for the new Xiamen Greencross website. I’m especially grateful to have worked under such an amazing leader, my boss/teacher, Azure Ma, who taught me the logistics behind running her 13-year old NGO in China. I have gained invaluable job and language skills, friends, and contacts throughout Southern China. I will visit Xiamen regularly in the future as I see it as another home.

Rory Zia’14 (Government major, Chinese minor), Migrant Education Center, Beijing, China

P1010825.JPG

My Freeman summer internship was basically being a good role model for migrant workers’ kids at a small recreational center in the Western side of Beijing with the Migrant Workers’ Education and Action Research Center. It involved playing games with the children (ages 5-13) and teaching them new things, whether it was helping them with their English homework or just talking about American and Chinese culture. The children would come to the center on a regular basis, but some kids would come more often than others. It depended on the schedules of the parents; I myself went to the center on average about 5 hours per day, including weekends. The children were very enthusiastic and excitable, and it was a wonderful experience.

January 2012 Freeman Internship Award Recipients and Reports
Jeff Carpenter’12 (Social Informatics and Japanese minor), Tokyo, Japan
IMG_8268.jpg
Over January 2012 I worked as a production intern for AOI Advertising Promotion Inc. in Tokyo, Japan. My responsibilities included research and preparation for AOI’s commercial shoots and translation for storyboards in the pre-production phase. I also got to see their various offices around Tokyo and met some very funny and interesting ad executives at the two largest advertising agencies in Tokyo. I had been exposed to the production side of film before, but I had never before seen what meticulous preparation is necessary for pulling off such complex and beautiful productions. Working at AOI gave me skills and contacts that I will use no matter what path my career takes.

Juliette Chan’ 14 (East Asian Studies/Global Studies), Beijing, China
IMG_1224.JPG

During my JanPlan in 2012, the Freeman Grant allowed me to travel to Beijing, China to do a month internship at a local NGO called “China Development Brief (English).” I mainly worked with the International NGO directory and served as an editor of already translated articles in English before they were uploaded to the website, and as a point contact to maintain the bibliography of English-language sources on civil society. On top of my responsibilities I was assigned a comparative research project in which I analyzed non-profit law and legislation in China and other countries. At the end of the research, I created profiles for different countries and their registration process along with the barriers to entry/activities/resources. This internship allowed me to see a glimpse of an NGO’s role within China and NGO management. Thanks to this internship I am able to see possible career choices for my future. I was also able to celebrate the Year of the Dragon in the capital of China, which is without a doubt a bucket list goal.

Xavier Loving’14 (East Asian Studies), Beijing, China
HPIM4714.JPG
My internship consisted of researching charity laws in other countries and compiling a portfolio that will be used by China Development Brief when comparing China’s charity laws. I was also managing CDB’s international NGO directory, which entailed sending emails to different organizations and processing information received from these organizations. I also participated in an English exchange with the CDB staff during the lunch hour to help staff members practice their English. During the internship, I was able to learn more about the process of becoming an NGO in China and the different constraints that are in place for organizations that work with pressing issues.

Arya J. Moallem’12 (STS, music/administrative minor), Shanghai, China
DSC03163.JPG
“I spent JanPlan of  2012 interning at Baseline Technical Services in Shanghai, China, a consulting and engineering firm that focuses on energy-efficient building design.  By performing research and analysis for Baseline Project Leader Zach Goodnough ’08, I was able to famaliarize myself with various environmental building certifications such as LEED and the Chinese 3-Star system.  Working with Baseline also offered me insight into the unique socio-political context of work in China, a phenomenal supplement to my coursework on “the hill.”

Ismael Perez’13 (Math, Chinese minor), Beijing, China

Ismael interned at Little Bird Hotline for Migrant Workers (小小鸟打工者热线) for the month of January. While at Little Bird, as it is commonly known by many, he saw the day to day operations of the small office tucked away in the wildly popular Wangfujing (王府井). From helping input data for expense reports to listening to first hand stories from migrant workers themselves, he was able to immerse himself into the culture of the growing NGO, now with 4 offices in China. He was amazed by the work that the staff members perform and impressed by their commitment to justice for these workers. It was certainly an unforgettable experience, and he has his professor Zhang Laoshi and the Freeman Foundation to thank for it.

Stephanie Ruys de Perez’14 (History/East Asian Studies), Tokyo, Japan.IMG_8736.jpg

This January I did an internship in Tokyo with Colby alum Ari Druker in the corporate finance department of Jones Lang LaSalle. I got the opportunity to be part of a traditional Japanese work environment which allowed me to learn not only about corporate finance but the chance to learn Japanese business etiquette. The internship was located in central Tokyo which also allowed me the opportunity to easily access many of the amazing sights in and around Tokyo when I wasn’t working.

Summer 2011 Freeman Internship Award Recipients and Reports

Ginger Brooker ’14 (Psychology), Buddhasavika Foundation, Nakhonpathom, Thailand

This summer, the Freeman Grant helped me pursue the opportunity to study gender as an institution through religion as an institution. I acted as both a layperson and secretary at Wat Songdhammakalyani, an all-women temple home to Venerable Dhammananda and the Buddhasavika Foundation. As a layperson, I woke up at 5 am to chant with the ordained women and my duties consisted of washing dishes, serving meals, cleaning, gardening, and helping to collect food from the villagers during alms rounds. As a secretary and intern, I taught English pronunciation lessons, transcribed recordings of dharma talks, gave tours to visitors, and documented special events. Living in the monastery gave me greater insight on the discrimination that ordained women face, the strict rules of a monastic life, and how Thai culture embeds itself in the religion of Theravada Buddhism.

Justin C Cheung ’14 (Art and English / Japanese minor), Studio Kuma (anime production), Tokyo, Japan

The Freeman foundation grant gave me a chance to see Japan for what it is; and from what I have seen and learned, it is an intriguing country that combines old with new and east with west. Even after this internship, I feel as if for the past 2 months I have only been scratching the surface of Japanese culture, but my findings has already excited me to go back for more in the future.

Bette Ha’14 (East Asian Studies/Anthropology minor), “Global Youth Development Summit”, various cities in China

Bette Ha with her Global Youth Summit teammates (in the front row) and their Chinese students in Shijiazhuang (back rows)

I received the opportunity of a lifetime to travel around China this summer, visiting places that a foreigner would not normally visit. My knowledge of Chinese customs is limited to what I have learned, not what I have experienced, and maintaining an open mind was important to getting the most out of the trip. Keeping this mindset, I met some incredible people—adults, teenagers, and children—and created lasting friendships with my peers from around the country. My trip was an eye-opening experience that I feel privileged to have had.

Josephine K Pei Liang ’14 (Psychology/ Cinema Studies minor), English teacher, Hoa Mai Orphanage, Da Nang, Vietnam

“The mind is a terrible thing to waste, and that is why I think education is of utmost importance. This summer I was honored to be sponsored by the Freeman Foundation to take an internship at Hoa Mai Orphanage in Da Nang, Vietnam. I was assigned to teach basic English to around twenty five children aged three to nineteen, who has little or no knowledge of the language; I also helped with the everyday administrative work of the Orphanage and helped developed a long-term teaching plan, so the lessons could carry on even when I am gone. I could still see the young children listening so attentively, and shooting their hands up whenever I asked a question; they have such hunger for knowledge despite their hunger in the stomach; they had so little yet they are fighters and would never give up. I tried my best to overcame language barriers with art and theatre, and made lessons interactive, interesting and useful.

Fiona Masland ’12 (International Studies and East Asian Studies). “Little Bird Migrant Worker NGO”, Beijing, China

Fiona with migrant children in Beijing

This internship also revealed a different side of China, a side of which I had only caught glimpses during my semester of study in China. Going to the migrant worker neighborhood in the southwestern suburbs of Beijing revealed a very different side of the city from the flashy buildings of the city center and the affluent neighborhood where my summer roommate and her family lived. The office also received phone calls and visits from migrant workers every day. I heard hopeful stories from workers who came to the office looking for help finding a job, and upsetting stories from workers who feared going home with no paycheck, because their boss refused to pay them.

Amanda O’Malley ’14 (Intl. Studies and Economics/ Chinese minor), Compassion for Migrant Children, Beijing, China

I worked as an intern and program assistant at a Compassion for Migrant Children community center in the Heiqiao community outside the 4th Ring Road of Beijing. In addition to teaching English, arts and crafts, and music, I got a glimpse into both the micro and macro aspects of running an NGO, from organizing the volunteer programs at the centers to implementing CMC’s larger projects and long term community programs.

Hoai Anh (Jenny) Nguyen ’12 (Art/ Administrative Science minor), Hanoi Grapevine, Vietnam

My internship with Hanoi Grapevine started at the end of June. Three things that brought me to the Hanoi Grapevine staff’s attention were my art history major, my English ability, and a strong fascination with the city where I was born and raised. First my assignments were simple ones, mostly dealing with translation and some image digitalizing, which also came in handy since I had experience with Photoshop as slide library assistant in Bixler. Then my tasks got more complex and required more preparation. I started doing individual research on each assigned subject, such as the comprehensive history of jazz in Hanoi, or on exhibitions given at various museums and galleries around the city. Thanks to this internship, I got to attend several receptions and openings of art galleries or exhibitions, for example the china show hosted by the Polish embassy. This internship was a great opportunity for me to really get in the state of mind of a culturally rich city, and also to absorb the vibrant vibe of the real art world. I also learned a lot about website designing, and met a lot of interesting artists in Vietnam.

Jacob Penglase ’12 (Economics and Math), Terrasys Energy, Jakarta, Indonesia

I spent this past summer in Jakarta, Indonesia working for Terrasys Energy, a renewable energy company that specializes in developing hydropower in Indonesia. More specifically, I worked under Matthew Busch, a former Colby student and an entrepreneur in Indonesia. The main project I worked on involved doing research and writing business reports on Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) prospects in Indonesia.

Jennifer Tsang ’13 (East Asian Studies and Anthropology), Research Assistant, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Anthropology, Hong Kong

This summer I worked as an intern for Chinese University of Hong Kong’s Department of Anthropology, primarily indexing a book that is to be published on gender and family relations in East Asia. I also worked with other professors in the department, completing tasks from condensing an article to entering survey data into a statistics program. In addition to exploring Hong Kong on my own, I had the chance to experience some field work in different parts of Hong Kong, particularly a place called Chungking Mansions where a CUHK professor did research and taught an English class to asylum seekers.

JOHN RODERICK FUND GRANTS FOR INTERNSHIPS IN ASIA

Kathy Wan’12 Econ major and Japanese minor. Tokyo, Japan.

This summer, I interned at Jones Lang LaSalle, a real estate firm in Tokyo, Japan. I worked with Colby Alum Ari Druker (Class of ’93) and assisted him with various tasks including researching and contacting Japanese companies that may have an interest in investing in real estate funds, creating and maintaining a spreadsheet filled with investor information and their geographical preferences for investments, and making presentations regarding different services Jones Lang LaSalle’s Corporate Finance department provides. I attended meetings in Japanese and English with Mr. Druker and clients to observe the networking aspect of the job.

Janplan 2011 Freeman Internships

Adrienne Bowles ‘12
Face to Face AIDS Project and Salvation Center Cambodia, Phnom Penh, Cambodia

Victor (Zhixiang) Chen ‘12
Aoi Advertising Promotion, Inc., Tokyo, Japan

Frances Lee ‘12
Severence International Hospital, Seoul, Korea

Tammi Choi ’11
Zhongyin Law Firm, Beijing, China (Partial Grant)

Summer 2010 Freeman Internship Award Recipients

Petya Andreeva ’13Hong Kong University Art Museum

Andreeva Petya with Dr Yeung and the Deputy Consul General of France

“The internships I undertook at the University of Hong Kong Museum and Art Gallery involved being a curator of two major exhibitions under the supervision of the Museum Director Dr Yeung as well as doing extensive research on Asian artists and art pieces. Over the two months I spent at the museum, I managed to curate both exhibitions quite independently. One of them was an exhibition that comprised Polish posters donated to the museum by the Polish Consulate in Hong Kong. The exhibition was located in two of the main galleries on the museum’s first floor and was open to visitors for a month. The other one was an exhibition initiated and sponsored by the Japanese Consul General in Hong Kong and featured more than 50 photographs taken by the renowned contemporary Japanese artist Kijuro Yahagi. The exhibition called “Hidden Japan” has toured more than 30 countries around the globe and I had the responsibility and great honor to curate it in Hong Kong.I also did research in traditional Chinese bronzes from different dynasties, I also had perpetual access to the museum’s collections. I wrote a press release for a major local newspaper on the Japanese exhibition. My job involved reading and doing research about the work of the famous Vietnamese monk and artist nominated for the Nobel Prize Thich Nhat Hanh who is to visit the museum in November. My supervisor also gave me valuable instructions regarding how to perform various administrative tasks related to museum work such as preparing captions, doing installation work, designing schedules, brochures and other merchandizing materials etc. As a whole, this has definitely been an experience of a lifetime and I am extremely grateful that I was given such an astounding opportunity only after completing my freshman year. The internship also reaffirmed my postgraduate aspirations in the field of Art History and enhanced my motivation to apply for a PH.D degree.”

For an article on Petya Andreeva’s internship, please visit http://www.insidecolby.com/article.php?articleid=322

Anne Marie Burke ’13Little Bird Worker Hotline, Beijing

“This summer I spent two months in Beijing interning for an NGO called Little Bird Mutual-Aid Hotline for Migrant Workers. A migrant worker founded this NGO after he realized the struggles that migrant workers face in large cities across China. Since migrant workers are not allowed to register to work in other cities besides their hometowns, they do not have working contracts and their bosses can easily deduct or defer the migrant workers wages. The hotline receives daily calls from migrant workers seeking job opportunities, legal advice, and rights protection. Little Bird counsels the migrant workers on ways to reclaim their wages, or mediates the dispute between the migrant workers and their bosses. During my time there I answered a few hotline calls and interacted with the migrant workers seeking help; however, my primary job was producing English publicity materials that the NGO could use to seek funding from international donors and allow foreign audiences to understand the work of Little Bird. I only spoke Mandarin in the office, and over the course of two months I enhanced my Mandarin vocabulary. I was glad for having an opportunity to learn the hardships and lifestyles of a Chinese population I was previously unfamiliar with.”

Tammi Choi ’11Korean Embassy in Beijing

“During the summer of 2010, I interned at the Embassy of South Korea in Beijing. Through the internship, I acquired a depth of knowledge about Sino-Korean relations, and polished my Chinese language skills. I worked at two departments. At the consular office, I assisted people with preparing documents for various procedures, from which I could learn about the purpose of the complicated immigration policies that actually underlined the complex economic and historical relationship between the two countries. At the PR department, I searched for articles in the Chinese media that contained false, prejudiced or sensitive contents about Korea, and translated them into Korean.

I also wrote the PI (President Identity), the monthly report on the activities of China’s President, prepared for the President of South Korea. Knowing how the current issues and the condition of the Sino-Korean relations can influence the media and immigration policies was a very valuable lesson.”

Abigail Crocker ’13Hirosaki Minami High School, Aomori, JapanCrocker Abigail with one of her ikebana arrangements

“Each morning I would get to the bus stop around seven, take the bus to Hirosaki Minami High School, and come home around five-thirty in the evening. I assistant taught English and observed the differences between a Japanese classroom and an American one. I observed the differences between the mentalities of the teachers and the students in the high school as well. I participated in classes and clubs like Tea Ceremony, Calligraphy, and Flower Arranging. I watched my students play in their sports days, and cheering on teams like Softball and Volleyball and Soccer matches between homerooms. I couldn’t have asked for a more eventful trip. I learned to navigate the bus systems, teach in a different country, and make friends and acquaintances I won’t ever lose in my lifetime.”

Natalie Deuschle ’11The Face-To-Face AIDS Project, Phnom PenhDeuschle

“This summer, working as an intern for the Face to Face Aids Project in Cambodia, I learned what the role of an individual should be in global health. The majority of my time in Cambodia was spent teaching English in two different schools, one in Phnom Penh and the other in Battambang. The children that I taught at both of the schools were extremely respectful and grateful. They were all so happy to be in school and overall appeared to have a different attitude towards school than the one I experienced growing up in the United States.

The schools were run by the Salvation Centre Cambodia, a nonprofit organization that aims to develop a committed staff team to work through networks of monks, nuns, and other local and national stakeholders and groups to develop capacity, reduce vulnerability and provide a range of support for people living with HIV and their families, so that they are able to claim their rights and improve their lives. My internship also consisted of me traveling to the homes of HIV positive families to conduct interviews so as to gain a better understanding of these peoples histories and what it means to be HIV positive in Cambodia, a country devastated by the Khmer Rouge only thirty years ago and living with the highest AIDS rate in Asia.

While in Battambang, I created a project called Akun Cambodia. The school in Battambang has a vocational room where they teach women suffering with HIV/AIDS to sew as a way to provide a means for the women to generate income. I designed purses and bags and had the women in the sewing room make them. I selected the fabric from the local market. The purses are now for sale online and will be available at Apollo Salon and Spa in Waterville. All profits from these purses will go toward the Salvation Center Cambodia.

My internship in Cambodia was a life-changing experience and I am so thankful for receiving the Freeman Grant.”

Emiliano Hergenreder ’11

Hong Kong University Faculty of MedicineHergenreder Emiliano with his co-workers from Dr. Chang’s lab

“This summer I conducted an internship at the University of Hong Kong Faculty of Medicine. I worked as an assistant in Dr. Raymond Chang’s laboratory, which focuses on research for Alzheimer’s disease. My work mainly involved studying disruptions of intracellular calcium induced by amyloid beta. I also studied the possible protective qualities of Lycium barbarum (wolfberry) against these effects. The wolfberry has been traditionally used in China as a preemptive treatment against aging. Recent studies suggest that polysaccharides from this fruit might confer protection against neurotoxicity. In order to conduct my experiments I learned and employed different techniques, including calcium imaging, maintenance of cell lines, extraction of primary cells from rat embryos, and some general lab procedures. A PhD student named Clara Hung directly supervised my work, but I also collaborated with other members of Dr. Chang’s team. During this time I also attended an international conference on Alzheimer’s disease hosted by the University of Hong Kong. Besides the work experience I gained, I also had the opportunity to spend three months in Hong Kong, a fascinating international city.”

Daniel Lesser ’11

China Outdoor Retailers Association, Beijing

“I received the Freeman Foundation grant to work for the China Outdoor Retailers Association (CORA) from June to August. CORA focuses on selling high-end American brand outdoors gear to Chinese retailers.

I participated in several trade shows that showcased CORA’s products, but the focus of my internship was to create and conduct three separate surveys. First, I conducted a survey of the Chinese consumer base to determine their impressions of CORA’s products. Second, I surveyed the retailers to whom we were selling our products. Finally, I conducted an in-house survey of CORA employees to determine where the day-to-day operations could be more efficient. All of these surveys were written in English and then translated and conducted in Chinese.”

Kathy Wan ’12

Yunnan Normal University, Kunming

“With the money I received from the Freeman Grant, I was given the opportunity to work closely with Professor Yang Dong Hui, from the Yunnan Normal University, doing fieldwork research. I went through a couple days of intense enumeration training and learned how to enumerate as efficiently as possible while remaining friendly and not pushy. While collecting data, I lived with the village head and saw what life is like for farmers, and also saw first-hand the immense amount of labor that goes into maintaining crops and farmland. After enumeration, I used computer programs to evaluate the data and learned how to analyze and differentiate relevant and accurate data points from those that were not.

Aside from the working, the level of cultural enrichment I underwent was beyond rewarding. I spoke and shared stories about the world outside of China and became friends with the locals. My interactions with them allowed me to recognize the slight cultural differences between Taiwan and China and helped me understand more about each respective set of values and beliefs.”

2010 John Roderick Fund Award Recipient

Megumi Sasada ’12
AOI Advertising, Tokyo
fdfd
Sasada_Takishita
Megumi with Mr. Takishita in Kamakura
Sasada_coworkers
Megumi with her co-workers at AOI Advertising
fdfdfd

“This summer I had the wonderful opportunity of interning at an advertising company for commercials in Tokyo, called AOI promotion Inc. There I worked in the International Creative Unit alongside Julie Thomas, the Chief Creative Coordinator. At AOI, I spoke in Japanese and English daily and helped the other 8 members of the International Department translate drafts of commercials. I also created a handbook to make filming “greener”. In addition, Julie often brought me along to important board meetings to discuss future projects and I even acted as a copywriter (editor) in two meetings.

One of the most interesting experiences I had in Japan however, was when I was used as an extra in a commercial shoot. Until then, I didn’t realize how many cameras, props, and people were needed just to create one scene, which in this case was in a department store. There were mothers pushing strollers, babies holding balloons, high school students in their sailor uniforms, and even old couples window-shopping. All of these extras were needed to create a short 3-second clip, amazing! Interning at AOI opened my eyes to the world of advertising and film and I learned so much each day about the industry from watching commercials from all over the world. Now I notice minute details in commercials in the United States. Interning at AOI improved my written and spoken Japanese and I became more interested in finding a future career in advertising.”

JanPlan 2010 Freeman Internship Award Recipients

Peter Graham ’12
Computer science internship with Aoi Digital Creations in Tokyo, Japan
Robert Knipp ’10
Economics/ES internship with Asia Renewables in Singapore
Emily Pavelle ’10
Teaching English Tsunami Volunteer Center in ThailandJia Zheng ’10
Legal internship with Winners Law Firm in Tianjin, China
2008-2009 Freeman Internship Award Recipients

Jeff Breece ’10
China Education Institute (Beijing and Yunnan)

Jesica Chang ’11
Research internship with Dae Jae Park, Department of Korean History, Korea University (Seoul)

Ethel Chou ’10
Taipei Representative Office, Singapore

Francis Gassert ’11
Research internship with Dr. Shen Suping, China (Yunnan)

Duy Lyford ’10
Aid for Kids, Vietnam (Ben Tre and Mekong Delta region)

Alex Pan ’11
Jane Goodall Institute, China (Beijing), Events coordinator

Kristen Psaty ’10
MinD Center, Vietnam (Hanoi), Educational coordinator, instructor

Zack Rich ’10
Research with Dr. Zhang Shuguang, China (Beijing, Chengdu, Qingdao, Guangzhou), emergent diseases, especially respiratory ailments

Ani Simeonova ’11
Aoi Advertising Promotion, Japan (Tokyo), TV commercial production

2008-2009 John Roderick Fund Award Recipient
Jia Zheng ’10