Digital Maine is a forum for storytelling—stories by and about Mainers, stories told by things and places. Through collaborations among students, faculty, and community partners, we preserve cultural resources and tell stories in different digital formats.
What is a Digital Maine project?
Digital Maine projects embrace the possibilities of knowledge production and dissemination that digital tools and techniques allow. This includes scholarly work like the building and curating of digital archives, the construction of multimedia narratives, and the making of interactive maps. Though different in purpose and method, these projects share certain elements and standards in common—standards that we ask new contributors to adhere to. The Digital Maine Team can provide guidance in how to design a successful project and can offer many forms of support as the project develops.
Digital Maine (DM) projects must
- be about Maine
- synthesize the practices of the humanities with digital tools and methods
- involve students in a substantive way
- have a faculty sponsor.
DM projects often
- use resources from Special Collections or the Museum
- have community partners/connect the College to the larger community
- preserve important resources
- embrace storytelling, in that they shape and deliver student and faculty research to an audience beyond campus boundaries
- focus on less well-known aspects of Maine’s diverse histories and cultures.
You will find examples of DM projects on the site, at http://web.colby.edu/digitalmaine/projects/
Why do a Digital Maine project?
DM projects enable rewarding collaborations among students, faculty, staff, and those outside the Colby community. The work is interdisciplinary. It increases the visibility of faculty and student scholarship. DM courses and projects allow faculty to explore alternative pedagogies and, in doing so, encourage more self-reflexive learning from students.
Review our course-based project start-up guides for
- digital mapping: http://web.colby.edu/digitalmaine/wp-content/blogs.dir/4107/files/2016/10/DM-mapping-course-guide.pdf
- video production: http://web.colby.edu/digitalmaine/wp-content/blogs.dir/4107/files/2016/10/DM-video-course-guide.pdf
Other project start-up guides are forthcoming.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.