This documents page is a multi-layered useful and informational space. Here are our three main uses for this page:
- It is for the use of visitors to learn more about our garden, what goes into planning, preparing, and managing the garden.
- It is also a space for current or perspective garden interns to refer to and update with their own information. This is a space that wisdom from interns past can be passed down to interns and students in the present and future.
- Convey safety information, publicize student expenses, and our earnings from farmers markets
Greenhouse planting information 2016
Seed Info: what temperature to start seedlings at, when to plant to meet a harvest date
Greenhouse Planting: Materials needed, how many seeds needed to plant, spacing of plants in the trays and in the garden
Summer Garden Harvest and Care Information:
Estimated Harvest Time: Estimated Harvest Calendar of when we will be harvesting our products (2016)
2013 Garden Journal – Daily tasks completed in 2013 summer garden
2012 Garden Activities Journal:
- May: May Garden activities
- June: June Garden activities
- July: July Garden activities
- August: August Garden activities
Interns Harvest Doc: (2015) Harvest Recordings from Summer of 2015, Please use as a baseline for the following years.
Garden Harvest Count 2012: Harvest Counts of 2012
Intern Information 2016:
Summer Garden Intern Job Description – Outline of the Duties of a Garden intern
Weeks Working: Outlining when Garden Interns will be working.
Colby Garden Presentation 2015 – Fall Garden Interns Presentation (For Summer 2015)
COFGA Instruction Manual by Month – Jeff’s Instruction Manual – Useful to look at every once in a while to remind yourself what to focus on.
Farm Contact List: Useful Document of possible Farms to Visit
Interesting Plant Information:
Cover Crops – Cornell Extension: Listing of many cover crops, how and when to plant and take care of them, and what they do for the soil.
Cornell’s Cover Crop Decision Tool: This is a great tool for determining when to plant a cover crop, and what to look for when planting a cover crop. It has helpful tips about growing, like suggestions to add nitrogen to Sudangrass. A very informative tool about cover crops.
Greenhouse Growing Resources and IPM (Integrative Pest Management):
Plant Banker Systems for Aphid Control: A thorough experiment about selecting a banker crop (crop where predators of Aphids can live).
Earnings and Expenses: (updated August 14th, 2016)
For Pricing for Farmers Markets, Please Visit: MOFGA’s Organic Price Report Page
Food Safety and Product Safety: A section of a book on food safety at farms, and how to optimize food safety with proper veggie washing, packing, hand-washing, and crop storage.