Guidelines + Eligibility
All workshops, information sessions, and collaborative programming are designed to assist program participants in preparing their business and final business prospectus. Either individually or as a student group, student participants are expected to research and compose entrepreneurial principles. In other words, the criterion within the Spring Business Competition can focus on integrating both critical and creative approaches to entrepreneurship.
The winner(s) of the Spring Business Competition will be the entrepreneur(s) who have demonstrated, through real world accomplishments that their project/idea is the most “funding ready” business in the alliance for that year.
- Only matriculated Colby students can present, if selected, in the competition. If applicable, non-Colby partners may participate in the Q & A session.
- Winners from past Colby Business Competitions cannot participate in future competitions, but they can be featured in event programs and other promotional materials. Past participants (non-winners) can compete again.
- Concepts must be unique to all previous Colby Business Competition prize winner(s). In other words, business concepts cannot have formed the basis for the winning enterprises from the previous year’s competition.
Note: Teams that are unsure of the eligibility of their idea should contact Erica Humphrey (firstname.lastname@example.org) in the Colby Career Center.
Rules & Requirements
- Deadline for preliminary registration is November 22, 2012. When registering, each team must indicate their functional track, Social Entrepreneurship or Regular Entrepreneurship.
- A team can only compete in one-functional track.
- We use the crowdfunding platform Launcht to supplement the competition. Formal submissions to Launcht are due March 20, 2013. To upload your campaign:
a) Go to http://colby.launcht.com/getstartednow
b) Create an account and answer all related questions on site
c) Upload your Executive Summaries
- Videos (optional), pitch decks, & event program write-ups are due April 1, 2013:
a) Via Launcht, you have the ability to upload videos that support your ideas/pitches (optional).
b) Also via Launcht, upload your Pitch Decks. These can be updated for the actual competition, if selected as a finalist, but the judges need to begin reviewing materials (in order to select the finalists who will present). If you need assistance with your Pitch Decks, there are many great examples available if you search using Google, such as http://www.pitchenvy.com/.
Note: All organizations that have entered the competition (by submitting materials on Launcht) will be highlighted in the competition’s event program. This is a great opportunity to gain additional exposure.
- Email Erica at email@example.com the following details:
Entrepreneur(s) Name(s), Class Year(s) & Major(s)
Brief Summary of Enterprise (1 paragraph/5-7 sentences)
Note: Please send only one submission per group if working as part of a team.
- Prototypes (of products or services) are strongly encouraged. During the pitch, a team can use props (including food), videos, audio tracks, internet links, etc. PowerPoint presentations are recommended but are not required.
Submissions should be entrepreneurial and explore the creation of new ideas.
The Colby Business Competition is fundamentally an entrepreneurship competition and its goal is to encourage Colby students to explore the creation of new businesses. Therefore, the following types of entries are not eligible to participate in the for-profit tracks of the competition: Leveraged Buyouts, Recapitalizations, Restructurings, Privatizations, Roll-Ups, certain Licensing or Franchise arrangements, Joint Ventures, Alliances and Search Funds. Teams that are unsure of the eligibility of their idea should contact the Organizing Committee.
Please note that all organizations (whether selected as a finalist or not) that have entered the competition by submitting materials to Launcht will have the opportunity to showcase their enterprises before and during the intermission of the competition via tabling in Diamond Atrium.