Human Anatomy at Colby

Reflection – Calvin

February 3, 2020 · No Comments

Last summer I did an internship for an FQHC (Federally Qualified Health Center) company based in Waterville. The project I completed for this company was the establishment of the procedures and policies for their in house telepsychiatry program. Over the course of the internship, I was able to shadow psychiatric nurse practitioners and gain a deep understanding of federal and state policies surrounding healthcare. Before this internship, I was interested in pursuing a career in medicine, but I didn’t know if it was for me. Having had this experience, I felt driven to take the next steps in deciding if medical school would be the right path for me. Outside of the EMT Jan plan, Human Anatomy and Physiology seemed like the closest thing to a medical school course that I could take in terms of pace and material. So I decided to give it a shot. 

When the class started it was clear that I had never dealt with this much information all at once before. However, professor Klepach framed the class as a growth oriented, low stakes trial of this type of learning so I was not worried about the material. I was confident that I would find ways to deal with the content if I gave it enough time. Over the course of the class, I learned a lot about myself as a learner and developed some more refined study methods. More than coming up with better ways to study, I became confident that no matter what the situation, I had the ability to come up with study methods to fit any material. 

In terms of the material itself, anatomical and medical jargon also became easier to understand over the course of the month. At the start, I spent a lot of mental energy trying to remember every term individually. For example, the definition of endoneurium vs that of epineurium. What I found at the end of the class was that rather than learning the definitions of terms individually, I was treating medical jargon more like a language. To continue the example from before, I would learn the definitions of endo and epi, and then I would just know that neurium referred to neural tissue. Towards the end of the class, learning terms became far easier because I would break down the terms to understand what they meant rather than memorizing the definition. 

I was a little nervous going into this class because Jan Plan has always been a difficult and stressful time for me. The cold weather and lack of sunlight during the month of January really have an effect on my attitude and health. That being said, this year’s Jan Plan was the best that I have had at Colby so far. Despite this class being demanding, I found the material to be so interesting and the whole process of learning how to learn better was very rewarding. All while leaving time for the other passions in my life. I don’t know if medical school is the end all be all for me yet, but after taking this class I feel more confident that I could handle it.

Categories: Uncategorized