Human Anatomy at Colby

End of Semester Reflections

February 3, 2020 · No Comments

Martyna Czarnik 

If anatomy has taught me anything, it is that the human body is anything but black and white. It is stronger than I believed, yet more fragile; it’s more complex, yet simpler than I believed. One can say, I am a walking contradiction. Coming into this course, I expected to pull all nighters, make ten upon hundreds of flashcards, and have absolutely no time to eat, sleep, and exercise. That could not be further from the truth. 

While I did study, spend hours in the anatomy class, and prepare for each lecture and quiz, I also found time to go skiing, try new recipes, and get the recommended eight hours of sleep. And yet, information was being thrown at us at an incredibly fast pace. At the beginning of the course, my stress levels were high, the usual. I was not sure if I could keep and I doubted my abilities. And then, seemingly overnight, I began to love it. I loved reading the lecture texts, studying my personal heart model, and researching case studies. I was shocked. Why made this class so different from any other fast paced, highly saturated class I had taken in the past two and a half years at Colby?  

Dr. Klepach is the answer to my long sought after question. It was thanks to him that I finally realized that my health is more important than my grades. Instead of studying for hours, I found new study techniques and adapted. I studied for Anatomy and Physiology without having to neglect my happiness and physical health. I found peace in filling out the wellness logs each day, documenting my meals, sleep, stress, and exercise. Even after this class, I will continue logging my days. This documentation guided me in making better meal decisions, wanting to get 7 + hours of sleep, and running that extra mile.

A&P, embarrassingly after 20 years, has taught me that success is not a grade. So while success may be an objective goal, it just occurred to me that I am allowed to celebrate subjective success too. I do not have to feel bad that I missed class because of a migraine or that I could not study another hour because I could not stay focused. I can celebrate logging my day, running 15 miles instead of the usual 6, being happy two days in a row, and even joyous that I have gone two weeks without a running injury.

So, Thank you from the bottom of my heart Dr. Klepach!

Categories: Uncategorized