Human Anatomy at Colby

Blog Post

February 3, 2020 · No Comments

I started college almost two and a half years ago with a hardline goal: I was going to graduate Colby with a 4.0. Somewhere in the depths of my high school naivety, I saw a 4.0 as a true reflection of my determination, willpower, and raw intelligence. I was ready to forgo nearly anything to achieve this goal. Now, as a junior, I know a 4.0 is simply not going to happen for me, and I am really at peace with that.

Through his Anatomy and Physiology JanPlan, Dr. Klepach has shown me what it means to be genuinely successful. I think that it is often very easy for students to blindly equate good grades with success without stepping back to acknowledge the larger life lessons embedded in every course. I will admit that as a Colby student in a largely objective major, it is really hard for me to separate my numerical performance in a course, whether it be high or low, from my brainpower, work ethic, and overall self-image. However, Dr. Klepach’s persistent emphasis on redefining how students and professors view education was refreshing, uncomfortable, and mind-blowing for me all at the same time.

A&P with Dr. Klepach was a JanPlan like no other. One of my friends in her third year of a nursing program, who has taken more A&P classes than even she knows what to do with, was stunned when I first told her about this course. She could not believe that I would really get anything out of a full A&P course in four short weeks (or three if you have the flu for one of them). While we certainly covered an unobtainable amount of material with Dr. Klepach this January, this class became about so much more than just the raw material and it was, at least for me, an immensely transformative month. Dr. Klepach’s mission to free his students’ approach to A&P from the stress of grades and a “winning” performance resonated with me. I had entered this course expecting to slave over this material, to abide by my original pledge to sacrifice all other aspects of my life for an ‘A.’ But after a few days of listening to Dr. Klepach advocate for the importance of stress management, adequate sleep, personal time, and exercise, I was inspired to change my JanPlan plan. I spent an extra week at home in early January to ensure a full recovery after a long ten days with the flu, and by the time I was back at Colby, I was skiing nearly two hours each day, nailing the NYT daily crossword, reading and listening to so many books, and still feeling prepared for each A&P lecture, quiz, and test. I am really looking forward to taking all of Dr. Klepach’s philosophy for a wholesome education with me into the new semester and I cannot thank him enough for his dedication to and excitement for every one of his students.

Abbey Sykes

Categories: Uncategorized