Human Anatomy at Colby

Jan Plan

February 8, 2019 · No Comments

When I decided to take this Anatomy and Physiology Jan Plan, I heard about how rigorous and accelerated the course was and I wanted to not only challenge myself with the material, but to get into a study routine that would lead me into a smooth transition for my Spring semester. That was the plan. I didn’t realize that this class had much more to offer than a study habit.

On our first day, Dr. Klepach talked about what he wanted his students to get out of his class. His goal was to help us lead a healthy lifestyle. To do this, each student was required to keep a lifestyle log. At first I didn’t quite understand why it was so important to keep track my stress levels, my sleep, and my meals, and looking back at my log sheet, I did quite poorly with my sleep and meals. Especially for the first week and a half of class, I would stay up reviewing, and stay up even later the night before a lab practical or quiz. I realized, through our professor, that this was a way for us to practice high intensity work but maintaining a low level of stress. Although I struggled with the task, filling out my lifestyle log made think more about what career I wanted to have. I really do want to continue on to medical school to become a pediatrician.  And to do that, I will continue practicing and a healthy lifestyle.

Throughout the month we covered so much material. I felt like I was being overloaded with information that I couldn’t possibly remember. I loved it. I liked learning the anatomy, the mechanisms that the anatomy is in charge of, how they do it, and then relating it to physiology and case studies. Although it was a lot, I felt a relieved that I was not only learning so much, but enjoying it. This course reassured my interests in the medical field.

I remember on the last day class,  I was feeling really nervous for our Grand Rounds since my group made some big changes to our presentation the night before. The week had already been pretty stressful, and presenting was the only thing I had on my mind. I remember feeling worried about doing better and worried about the final. I also remember, however, leaving Olin 1, feeling calm. Feeling fulfilled. That same stressful morning, Dr. Klepach had brought in a special speaker, Scott Fried.  Scott shared a powerful message with us that I will always keep with me. He shared his story and the story of his friends. He told us, he told me, that I am enough. That I shouldn’t be too hard on myself because I am loved. I can be nervous and stressed, but at the end of the day, I am still lovable.  We are all lovable. As I listened to Scott, I also watched my classmates. We had worked so hard this Jan Plan and it made me me very proud of them and proud of myself. I am glad to have had this Jan Plan experience.

Categories: Uncategorized