The Most Important Thing I Learned in BC176

After the first fitness test I was very sore. My legs in particular, were in a great deal of pain. Luckily, this pain did not exist after the second fitness test. The reason for this is not really in any better shape to be taking a fitness test and running the Kosmin Test, rather, it is because after the second test I finally realized the importance of a cool-down. Anaerobic respiration lasts about 60 seconds at time, and coincidently, during the Kosmin Test we were running for 60 seconds at a time. This means that my muscles had just about maximized the amount of lactic acid they could produce, and I felt it. My coach in high school always stressed the importance of a cool down jog, but at the beginning of the month I thought to myself, “What’s just one time without a 800m recovery jog?” Well, I learned the hard way, as I could not walk normally for a few days.

It was a few weeks later in the course when I learned the biochemical reasoning behind the cool down. If the body is just idling it breaks down lactic acid at a much slower rate than it does when the body is undergoing light exercise. This is because the muscle cells can actually burn lactic acid during aerobic respiration.
Thanks to this course I learned tips (such as what not to eat before a workout and what to eat for optimal recovery) that will save me from a lot of pain and suffering during future workouts.

2 Responses to The Most Important Thing I Learned in BC176

1. spondy12 says:

Don’t worry, I won’t tell Dave Kahill.

2. No eggs says:

I agree after taking this class that a cool down is very important. My high school coach always used to make us do a 800m cool down (known as the “two lap cooldown”). It became a bit of a joke among the members of the team, as we knew that even if it was pooring rain and every other team was running toward their buses, we were going to be running the dreaded two lap cooldown. Even after practices we had to do it. And if you tried to skip it, he would hunt you down. After learning about lactic acid build up I know see where he is coming from. And I think he was probably right, although I would never admit it to him or someone who I was on the team with (Sam Redstone don’t read this!!!). I didn’t usually feel that sore after a meet or even a particularly hard practice. Maybe he was right…