I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor. – Henry David Thoreau

Throughout the past three weeks of Jan Plan I have been able to grow as an athlete and an overall individual. Exercise physiology has proved to be one of the most informational and enjoyable classes that I have taken this year and among other classes that I took during high school. As an athlete, I approached this class knowing that I could do well in it and that I would always be interested in the material daily.

Being able to work out, eat healthy, complete labs, and learn about every aspect of the body and how to keep it running to the best of it’s ability in combination with one another was both challenging and encouraging. It was challenging because we are complex beings, and to truly understand how everything functions with one another takes time and studying. Also because I had to change many of my own habits and maintaining persistence through the urges to revert back to old ways was quite tough, to say the least. It was encouraging because after learning so much, I leave this class with a new outlook on how to go about reaching fitness and health goals; I leave with confidence that I know how to navigate my own choices whether it is about selecting food to eat, or what exercises to do in order to improve an aspect of my fitness like VO2 max.

I feel as though I have gained a better appreciation for mental toughness and putting the work in so that I can see the results that I would like to see. This quote by Thoreau explains perfectly the mindset that I now have about continuing on as I try to reach my full wellness and athletic potential, “I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestioned ability of a man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.” I can elevate myself to reach any goal by going at it head on and with the confidence to get through any and all tough times, because I know the pay off will be tremendous.