Ending Jan Plan and Moving Forward

Having retested my fitness on Tuesday, I can say that I am pretty pleased with the way things went.  I ran about 60 meters more in the Kosmin test than I did at the beginning of Jan Plan.  This changed my estimated 800m time from 2:21 to 2:15.  I still know I could do better than that.  Maybe when my foot is fully better I’ll have to run one myself.  I feel like I am in much better shape than I was at the beginning of Jan Plan.  I feel like I achieved the goals that I set for myself at the beginning of the month.  I just want to share a few thoughts about the whole experience.

-I am glad I took this class, because it made me write down my goals.  There have been studies that have shown that you are more likely to achieve your goals if you write them down.  Earlier this month I read an article that says you are much more likely to improve something about yourself in a new year if you explicitly state and write down a New Year’s resolution.

-The change that I made that I am the most happy about is being a healthier eater.  Eating breakfast every day, eating more fruits and vegetables, and avoiding very unhealthy foods has just made me feel better, and feel like I have more energy.  Healthy eating was definitely not just something ot help me get through this month.  I will definitely continue to eat healthy.

-I am happy that I was able to follow my wellness calendar so closely.  In the past I have struggled a little bit with commitment to exercise over an extended period of time.  I feel like I am in a rhythm right now, and my day would not feel complete if I didn’t exercise.  I don’t think my long-term commitment will be a problem anymore.

-As far as my rehab goes, my foot is doing much better.  My range of motion feels like it is improving every day.  There is still some stiffness, but my physical therapist says that might not go away for a long time, and it’s more about getting used to it than it is about getting it to go away at this point.  I will continue to rehab every day, and I think my doctor will clear me 100% sometime in March.  I’m really excited for that!

As a final note, I want to say that nothing I did this month exercise-wise, nutrition-wise, or otherwise has been solely for this class.  I did it for myself and I will continue to follow the same routine because I feel like it worked out very well, and I’m excited about how much better I can get.

2 Responses to Ending Jan Plan and Moving Forward

1. froglady froglady says:

Great to read all the positive outcomes–keep up the good work!

Excellent news! Good luck with the foot rehab, so glad that it’s going well!