Preaching the gospel of Tabata

I am a huge fan of group fitness.  Nothing like some terrifying sweaty woman breathing down your neck, screaming about how you need to “PUSH” and “GO ALL THE WAY.”  Seriously.  It’s great.  It’s also fun to look in the mirror and see a room full of people raising their arms and legs in unison, looking like a bunch of robots in training for some big robot convention (I don’t know…)

All joking aside, group fitness is kind of like having your own personal trainer guide you through a rewarding and well-thought out workout.  Yes, you have to share your personal trainer with a bunch of other people, but if you want, you can just kind of block all of them out and listen to that awesome techno Pitbull remix.

At Colby, we have Tabata.  Usually I am reluctant to share the joys of Tabata with others because of its explosive popularity, but I can’t resist.  I love it.  Tabata is a form of intense interval training that will utterly destroy you.  (Yes, that is what I want out of a workout—destruction) It involves 20 seconds of super intense exercise (think burpees…done as fast as you can go) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated for 8 cycles.  One session involves a period of warm up exercise, followed by 9 or so high intensity exercises separated by medium intensity exercises, followed by a cool down exercise.

Man, I remember my first Tabata class like it was yesterday.  It sucked.  And when it ended, I waddled (WADDLED) to Dana and had a 2 hour long dinner because I could not get out of my chair.  I was so sore for the next week that I had to kindly ask friends to pick my limp body up off the floor whenever I wanted to stand.  Carol (the instructor) is a little fireball of a woman.  She really knows how to whip ya in to shape.

For whatever reason, I kept coming back.  I’ve noticed that people who try Tabata generally do (no matter how much it sucks the first time).  And soon enough, I saw real improvements in my strength and stamina.  It was kind of amazing to see how my own body changed.  Plus, I didn’t experience the same intense soreness that I did the first few times anymore.  Just a little sore here and there, but no waddling.

No, it is not for the faint of heart, but Tabata will definitely give you a great workout.

3 Responses to Preaching the gospel of Tabata

1. Wall-E says:

I have always wanted to try out the Tabata class but was a little nervous about how exhausted people always look leaving it. Sounds like its worth it though! Definitely going to put it in my spring schedule.

2. Harptown says:

I hear the music up there all the time and have always wondered what was going on. Sounds like an intense work out thats for sure. I dont remember the last time I waddled away from a work out. And I think I am going to have to try working out to that Pitbull techno remix, seems like it can take you to a whole new level!

3. Flipper Flipper says:

Carol is awesome. She’s such a bundle of energy. I don’t know how she does it. There is a great example of how fitness fights aging for you.