Pole Pedal Paddle

After hearing about the Adventure Racing that the Nordic ski coach participated in I started to look at some of the other races out there besides marathons and triathlons.  While I was checking them out on the Internet I came across one that looked pretty cool, called the Pole Pedal Paddle.  It takes place in Bend, Oregon, one of my favorite places on earth and can be completed as a team or as an individual.  The race consists of a downhill ski, an 8km cross-country ski, 22 mile bike ride, 5 mile run, 1.5 mile paddle (in anything that will float) and finally a half mile sprint to the finish. My favorite part of the race is the diversity of skills that are necessary to do well and I think the 6 different legs would be perfect for my family of 6.

One of the most important things that I have learned from this class is that in order to stay healthy you have to enjoy living the way you are.  If you are on some crash diet where all you eat is carrots and soybeans, you might lose 10 pounds quickly but the moment you can’t stand the diet anymore it will all be out the window.  The same goes for exercise, it is important to do frequently, but if you go too hard and hurt yourself then you’ll be out for even longer.  Or, if you don’t like the regimen you have going, chances are you aren’t going to stick with it.  To me, this race seemed like the perfect way to change up the routine, have fun in a beautiful place and maintain a healthy lifestyle without pressure.  Now all I have to do is convince my sister that the 8km cross-country ski is “definitely the easiest option.”

If you want to check out the race : http://www.pppbend.com/race_guide.htm

One Response to Pole Pedal Paddle

Sea to Ski at Mt. Baker is SO MUCH fun. I was the runner for an all-women’s team back in ’96. We crushed it, mostly because we had a pair of the best women’s canoeists in the nation.