The moms know what’s up

If you live in a suburb like me, I’m sure you’re accustomed to seeing the mom brigade.  Armed in baseball caps and spandex, they come marching down the street just around the time you’re waking up, still recovering from that Grey’s Anatomy marathon last night.  They’re chattering away, all the while swinging their arms madly and pushing their feet forward at a pace that’s not quite walking, not quite jogging.  This, my friends, is what is known as speed walking, and surprisingly, it’s not just for moms on Sunday mornings.

Speed walking is a great way to switch things up, and if you’re anything like me, you’re going to want to switch it up as often as possible.  If you’re just looking to burn calories, it’s a comparable activity to jogging—just make sure you have proper form and are really going for that “speed” aspect.  If you’re recovering from some sort of injury, or are just not feeling a high impact activity, speed walking is a gentle, lower impact activity that results in much less injuries than jogging or running.  Plus, interestingly enough, a 2008 study in “Psychology and Psychosomatics” found that mild to moderate exercise increased subjects’ energy levels.  However, it was the lower-intensity exercise that proved to be the most beneficial on energy levels—walking was found particularly beneficial.  So, adopting a walking routine instead of jogging may improve your energy level throughout the day.

I find speed walking to be a lot of fun, and a lot less taxing on the body than running or jogging.  Don’t get me wrong, I still run a lot more than I walk, but every once in a while it’s nice to have an activity that’s a little more like a stroll through the park and a little less like the hell fire that usually is my workout.

For help on proper form: http://www.livestrong.com/article/505074-how-to-do-power-walking/

2 Responses to The moms know what’s up

1. cwolfing cwolfing says:

I used to speed walk with my friend and her mom.. It was fun! I found it more challenging than running actually! Especially going up hills…That is a killer. I’m not sure if this is true but I heard that speed walking will tone your legs much faster than jogging or running. It is painful!

2. striva says:

Speed-walking is cool! I am not an athlete and appreciate these kinds of activities which are more relaxed but still get your body moving and feeling good!