Procrastination… Or Lack Thereof.

I usually think one of two things when I decide to go to the gym on my own time or have to go for practice. I either have the I’d-Rather-Lay-In-The-Pile-Of-Snow-Outside-My-Dorm-In-Negative-Twenty-Degree-Weather-Until-I-Freeze thought, or the Hell-Yeah-I’m-Going-To-Break-A-Sweat-And-Get-Jacked thought. Yes, these are two completely opposite outlooks on working out, but thankfully, I almost always end up thinking the latter thought!

As an athlete, I truly do love exercise, especially during one of Dawn’s workouts when I feel like I’m on the verge of death until I realize that I’m actually just in the middle of a circuit that I’m going to be so glad that I completed. Being at the gym almost every day can begin to get repetitive and seem to be some sort of obstruction in my daily agenda. Though it’s a part of my everyday routine, sometimes I wonder if I could just put off a lift until tomorrow or skip the 10 miles on the bike and just get right into a lift circuit instead, but then I stop myself. If I were to put off any portion of my workout for a later date, what would I accomplish besides reaching the status of a serious procrastinator? I would feel guilty, unmotivated, less energized, sluggish, and the list goes on.

During the semester, like all Colby students, my schedule gets very messy, very fast. There are classes, labs, homework, lab reports, work, club meetings, scheduled meetings in general, athletic games and practice, social gathering, getting into the weight room and, of course, sleep has to fit in somewhere. With all of these things having to be organized and planned carefully, there’s no room for procrastination. Nothing would get done, things would be forgotten, and time would be wasted.

When it comes to exercise, I always know that I have to do it, regardless as to how lazy I’m feeling or the endless list of things that I’d rather do. It’s a part of my life. I know that I cannot function well without getting into the gym at least 6 days of the week and that I get jittery when I take that 1 day off. I know that if I skip part of my workout, I probably won’t make it up another day. I know that I will not see results or improvements in my fitness if I don’t put sufficient time in and complete my exercises properly.

I’m not one to make a big deal out of new year’s resolutions, but an attainable resolution for me would be to simply enjoy the time that I spend exercising more and to not see it as the least exciting part of my day. It really is necessary to be proactive and approach all activities with a positive “can do” attitude because we’ll get much more out of them if we do. Procrastination allows for the build up of negativity and unneeded stress, neither of which I would like to have! Charles Dickens gave great advice when he said, “never do tomorrow what you can do today. Procrastination is the thief of time.” So, even when no part of your body wants to motivate itself to get down to the gym, go anyways. You’ll be glad you did.

1 Response to Procrastination… Or Lack Thereof.

1. No eggs says:

Could agree more. I love exercising and working out, but sometimes I think my body forgets that. And it usually forgets at the worst times, such as when I’m walking out of my dorm to head to the athletic center, or when I’m half way through a workout. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, “I truly do love exercise, especially during one of Dawn’s workouts when I feel like I’m on the verge of death until I realize that I’m actually just in the middle of a circuit that I’m going to be so glad that I completed.” Even if it’s not a Dawn workout, it’s easy to feel ‘on the verge of death’ during a workout, only to remember how good it feels to finish. That’s the thought that carries me through entire workouts on some days. There’s nothing more motivating during a hard workout than the thought that eventually, you’ll be done.