Assessing Fitness II Predictions

With my last two blogs, I want to talk about our upcoming lab, Assessing Fitness II.  Today I want to talk about what I’ve done in the past month after Assessing Fitness I, what tests I am going to redo this week, and what my hopes are.  My final blog on Thursday will include a reaction to the results I get in lab, as well as plans for health and fitness as we move into the spring semester and beyond.

So, what have I been doing to improve my fitness in the past month? 

-Well, this first change actually occurred a few weeks before Jan Plan started, but it still has been a significant change for me.  I’ve been eating way healthier the past 1-1.5 months.  I know that’s not a long time, but I really plan on continuing it.  Instead of stocking my dorm with sweets to snack on while I’m doing work/watching tv/etc. I’ve stocked my room with nuts, fruits, and vegetables.  I eat breakfast every day.  And I try to shy away from the (oh so tempting) burgers, pizza, fries, and other unhealthy foods at lunch and dinner. 

-I have been doing a bunch of rehab work on my foot.  Each day I do stretches and movements that help my foot get back to normal.  I have even gone back to Portland to see my physical therapist, and I’ve worked with the athletic trainer a few times to release some of the scar tissue (trust me there’s a lot of it).

-On my fitness calendar I said I would bike 2-3 times a week and swim 2-3 times a week.  I must admit though, I haven’t been swimming.  I have been biking almost every day though.  I have a couple different workouts I do on the bike: an hour on the cardio setting, a 30 minute fartlek, or anything else I can think of. 

-One of my other goals was to improve my flexibility.  I wrote on my calendar that I would stretch every day, and I have.  I just don’t see very much improvement.  I’m not sure if I’ll retest flexibility for that reason.  I will keep stretching every day though, because I think it will eventually get better.

The only test I am sure I will retest is my VO2 max.  My injury in September kept me immobile for a very long time, and I was very out of shape coming into January.  I’m still not close to where I want to be endurance-wise, but I have improved (I don’t think I will be where I need to be until I can start running daily).  I’m sure I will improve my score on the Kosmin Test.  For one, I kept a very cautious pace the first time I did it, especially on the first minute.  I have a lot more confidence in my foot this time around.  Secondly, and more importantly, I am in better shape than I was at the beginning of January.  The test predicted that I would run a 2:21 in the 800 the first time around.  I’ve never run an 800 in a race before, but c’mon- I can do better than that!  I guess we’ll see how much better on Tuesday.

1 Response to Assessing Fitness II Predictions

I help coach the distance runners on a local high school team, and a lot of the boys can’t run a 2:21 800. That’s really not a bad time…but I hope you improved! you certainly looked more comfortable!