Sometimes I think I should rest. Then I stop and go be awesome instead.

I am culprit of not resting enough. I like moving and I don’t like standing still. Sometimes I get twitchy and all I want to do is work out. It is a phenomenal outlet for angst or pent up energy. It is perhaps the most critical part of my daily routine. I know I am healthy when I have a good flow of energy. Eating, talking and working out are critical to maintaining my creative and productive flow.  At times I feel like I can keep going but I know I should rest. If I choose the latter my energy flow often feels hindered.

I feel like I sleep a lot for a college student – usually between 7-9 hours. Sleep is never something I have been able to function without. Perhaps this is how my body rests, by demanding steady sleep and supplemental naps, and not via taking off one day a week. Getting stronger, getting faster, hitting endorphins is addictive. It’s a real easy way to control your own good feelings and to practice moving through mental and physical obstacles. I need my daily dose of this challenge.

How do you reconcile your gravitation towards the gym with prescribed down time? I like moving, I like working and I don’t want to stop. Perhaps cross training is a way to have a balance of rest and flow. If I differentiate what I am doing from day to day than I stay on my exercise routine, but I let different muscles and pathways rest on different days.

2 Responses to Sometimes I think I should rest. Then I stop and go be awesome instead.

1. PumpingIron PumpingIron says:

I too have developed injuries from overtraining to both of my shoulders and a knee. Going to the gym is definitely addicting and having to take a day off every week is sometimes difficult to do as it throws my day out of rhythm. While I have increasing my training load over the past several months, I have compensated by increasing my sleep as well as splitting up my workouts to ensure I have at least 48 hours of rest for a specific muscle group. By letting the muscle recovery fully, I find I have more energy and strength for the successive workout, so I know growth is happening. Your suggestion of incorporating cross training would seem to work as it would force you to use a different set of muscles, at least for one day. You should be able to physically feel a difference in your body’s performance if you are currently overtraining and can allow ample time to recover.

2. ColdWeatherCajun says:

It can be very tempting to keeping working out and consequently over-train. I am definitely guilty of giving in to the workout urge and going to the gym, even when I should probably take a rest day. However, I have also suffered serious injury from over training (I tore my trapezius muscle) and so I have learned to be careful when it comes to spending significant time in the gym. It’s hard to quit working out too much. It’s simply addictive.