Poor Rondo

If any of you are Celtics fans, you probably heard the news that point guard Rajon Rondo tore his ACL in a loss to the Atlanta Hawks late last week. ACL injuries are so common and devastating in athletics, but why?

Earlier in the month I wrote about my friend Aimee and her ACL injury. Around the same time Aimee tore her ACL, a very athletic boy that is a year younger than me tore his ACL playing basketball. Now, two years later, he tore the ACL in his other knee. How does this traumatic injury happen twice to the same person?

I guess you could say that like most traumatic athletic injuries, tearing your ACL could be considered a “freak accident.” There are so many different kinds of movements in athletics, and the chances that you will be caught in a situation where you twist your knee in the just the right way to tear a ligament is very slim. The chances of it happening to you more than once? I think at that point it can’t be considered a terrible coincidence anymore. There must be something wrong with the physiology of that athlete, or the way he or she runs or eats. What is it?

Once you sprain your ankle, the saying is “it will never be the same,” and I’ve found that to be very true, from experience. But it is still manageable to play with… but an ACL.. people are really never the same. Why is it that we haven’t found a way for athletes to prevent this injury? It just doesn’t make sense.

This entry was posted in Exercise Physiology, Week 4. Bookmark the permalink.

3 Responses to Poor Rondo

1. spondy12 says:

Though I have never suffered a torn ligament, I know many people that have. My understanding of these occurrences becoming more frequent is the increase in highly competitive travel sports teams, such as AAU, who over work athletes at a young age, pushing their bodies to the brink. While this doesn’t seem all that bad at first, stress and fatigue can build up, and the muscles surrounding the knee and other joints can’t provide sufficient support for the joint. All it takes is one unfortunate cut or landing for a career to be changed forever.

2. Having torn my LCL in my knee, I wonder if I’ll ever tear my ACL or another ligament. I can attest to the tearing of ligaments being a “freak accident.” I tore mine in a volleyball game when I came down from a block. I’ve completed over 1000 blocks in the years that I’ve played volleyball, yet that one time, something went wrong. I remember that I felt fine during the block, but right when I landed, it was a whole new world. LCL tears are extremely painful, though maybe not as much as an ACL, but the fact that either happens is just wild. I always wonder when I’m going to tear something else. Horrible to think about, but my doctor’s told me that it’s bound to happen to me again at some point… Thanks Doc. These things will happen, but what’s most important is rehab and bringing one’s self back to a healthy state and continuing on!

3. dampbench says:

It baffles me too that ACL injuries are so common in sports. Perhaps the body just isn’t designed to withstand some of the pressures that certain movements in certain sports place on it? I had no history of knee injuries in my family until last Winter, when both my brother and my sister tore their ACLs on consecutive days; they were playing basketball. What’s even more shocking to me is how often these injuries seem to reoccur. One of my brother’s teammates has torn his ACL three times, yet he still competes collegiately. Hopefully some innovative doctor out there is developing a more permanent solution to the problem.