A Whole New Look at Food

Before this class I ate a balanced diet, but I was unaware that some foods I was eating were actually really bad for my body.  The day after we learned about the horror that is mashed potatoes, wouldn’t you know that they serve mashed potatoes and turkey at Foss for dinner.  It was a real test for me to say no to them, as they always have gone hand in hand with turkey.  In the past, to eat turkey meant mashed potatoes and gravy, but not that day.  Thankfully, I was able to muster the strength and say no to the mashed potatoes and their high glycemic index.

I have also tried my best to cut white breads out of my diet.  My brother and I grew up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread for lunch pretty much everyday.  White bread used to be a core staple of my diet back at home.  So when I made a sandwich for lunch or dinner in one of the dining halls, I would naturally grab the white bread; not anymore!  I have tried the wheat and multigrain breads with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and was surprised to discover that I actually preferred them to the old white bread sandwiches!  I particularly enjoy the multigrain bread because the nuts in the bread taste a lot better when the bread is toasted.  Hopefully I will be able to bring this new found taste for bread back to my parents at home.

Similarly to white bread, my family is very big into milk.  We probably go through two gallons of milk, one of chocolate and one of white, a week over the summer when my brother and I are home.  When I was a toddler I drank so much milk that my doctor insisted that I go on a diet and either drink skim milk or cut milk out completely.  My parents tried, but without milk I just became more cranky, so I got my milk back again.  I never thought I would try to substitute milk for something else, but then I tried silk milk in my cereal one day because there was no milk.  I was shocked to discover that it actually tasted better than milk, just as the commercial says!  Since then I have added silk milk instead of real milk to my cereal every morning.  These are just a few of the changes that I have made in my diet since the start of this class.  I hope to continue working and changing my diet to become more healthy.

1 Response to A Whole New Look at Food

1. kbox2015 says:

I am happy to hear that you have been making changes in your diet. I have found that when I eat healthier and more consciously I feel more energized and happier with myself. Surprisingly, eating better has a lot of awesome effects on a person outside of the physical benefits; there are emotional benefits as well!