The First Time I Liked Running

It was two days ago. My head was pounding, my eyes were drooping, and all I wanted to do was lie in bed and watch another episode of “The West Wing”. It was just one of those days where everything piled up and it was starting to get the best of me. It was about 5:45 that night when I realized that I had one last commitment that day. I had to work at 6:30 and the way I was feeling, which just did not seem like a possibility. As I was sitting on my couch, killing time before heading back out into the bitter cold, one of my roommates said he was headed to the gym for a little bit. I don’t know why, in fact I had already been to the gym that morning, but I hoped up and through my work out gear on and headed out with him. We got down to the gym and I was still exhausted. I started to stretch and every minute or so I would let out a big yawn and start to tell myself it was a bad idea to do anything physical that night.  But I finished stretching and hoped on the treadmill. I popped in my headphones and it just seemed like the rest of the world went away. Usually, when I task myself with running, in any form or fashion, my eyes wander and my mind races about the day’s events. But this time was different. I don’t know what it was, its not like I was running around campus on a beautiful spring day I was in the fitness center staring into the field house just running on the treadmill, but everything around me sort of disappeared for the rest of the run. I remember starting out and feeling better than normal and then just getting into sort of a rhythm. My eyes were fixed on the big blue lettering in the field house that spells out “COLBY”, and it was like nothing else existed for that span of time. After I was done, I got in a good stretch and headed off to work. Before I started, I realized that I was in a much better place physically and emotionally than I was forty-five minuets earlier. I had a clearer mind about things and I didn’t seem to be as tired as I was before. I have always heard that working out causes these effects, and that you almost need to go to the gym during college as a way to clear your mind and get some of your frustrations out. I use to find that sort of release in lifting weights, and one of the biggest things I have been struggling to find since I no longer lift the way I use to, was a new escape. As corny as it sounds, I think I might have found that in running two nights ago.

2 Responses to The First Time I Liked Running

1. striva says:

This was really inspring to read. Thanks. Colby can be a very emotionally-stressful place. I think everyone experiences negative moments throughout the day. It is wonderful to see how exercise can help us Let Go of this negativity.

Next thing you know, you’ll be running road races!