The Bucket List

Over the years I have developed a list of things I want to try and accomplish at some time in my life. As I have gotten older I have had crazy ideas; the kind of ideas that most people would laugh about, shake off and forget. Instead of simply forgetting some of these pursuits I have decided to commit to attempting them.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Learn to surf

-Living in Maine does not afford me the opportunity to surf. Surfing in Maine is hardly “real” surfing so I have always avoided the opportunity to try it. I hope to someday visit some warmer coast and learn.

Play Jai Alai

-Ok. So what is Jai Alai, you might ask? Jai Alai is a traditional Basque sport in which one attempts to sling and catch a ball that is traveling at over 100mph. Sounds dangerous? Sounds fun to me.

Run the “Tough Mudder” race

-The Tough Mudder is an extreme endurance race which benefits the Wounded Warriors Project. The race is 10-12 miles long and involves feats such as scaling walls, running through live wires, and running through fire.

Compete in an amateur boxing match.

-I spent most of my life being involved in martial arts and mixed martial arts. I have always wanted to box. However, my town did not have a boxing gym. I would like to compete in an amateur boxing match before I become too old to do so.

Learn to scuba dive
-I have wanted to learn to scuba dive since I was 6 and my uncle recounted stories of scuba diving in Hawaii.

I hope to run in the Tough Mudder before I graduate from Colby. As for the rest of the bucket list? If the opportunity presents itself and I am healthy enough to accomplish the activity, I will.

This entry was posted in Exercise Physiology, Week 4. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to The Bucket List

1. froglady froglady says:

Great list of new adventures! As Flipper says, you can surf in lots of great places, including Maine, and Lake Superior in Wisconsin!

2. striva says:

ColdWeatherCajun, I wish you all the best! I hope you get to do these sporty things in your Life!

3. This post reminded me of a really cool blog of a guy who made a “bucket list” and then committed his entire life to it, it’s really incredible and I think you;d enjoy it:
    http://joelrunyon.com/two3/the-impossible-list-is-not-a-bucket-list

4. Flipper Flipper says:

Hey there – You’d be quite surprised at the active surfing community that exists here in the northeast. There most certainly is “real” surfing in Maine, especially in winter, and some of the most talented surfers I know have been from New England. This is the area where I grew up surfing in New Hampshire/MA and the guys featured in this clip are locals: http://magicseaweed.com/video/flvplayer.php?id=2835 . It’s the same deal in Maine. A good way to get started its to sign up for a lesson at pretty much any surf shop, and they’ll help you get up on your first waves.